Combines sticker shock

Ilnewholland

It's not just the CR's but everything is like that. I guess I could tell you that the CR970 is four times the combine we had 20 years ago, so every thing would be the sameIJ For me I just work harder every year to make the same or a little less than the year before. Who needs sleepIJ Ilnh

Bundy

I fully agree with what your saying. I guess the really disapointing thing is that the big machinery makers believe it is more important to sell 1 or 2 huge capacity machines at a dealership. Sure they have power sieves, windows, seat warmer, fridge, computers that monitor everything, bum wiper, pretty decals, curved stylish side shield, ect, but do we really "NEED" all this stuff on them to do a good jobIJ Please don't take this as a swipe at just the CR, its not. All the companies are exactly the same and they are pricing themselves into a smaller and smaller market as less and less farmers can justify the huge costs of these machines that only work for a month or two a year. Wouldn't it make more sense to sell 20 or 30 cost effective, class 5 or 6 machines, per dealership that are simple, efficient, has everything you need to do a job in "reasonable" confort, without all the extra junk on it just waiting for an excuse to have wires eaten by mice, damaged by high pressure air when cleaning, or damaged when a combination of water and chaff build up and corrode around them. Obviously there are always going to be those guys out there that want the biggest and the best of everything, and if they can afford it make it pay for itself then good luck to them I say. But for those that like reasonably modern_new machinery on their farm, but don't need huge capacity machines then something like this would be ideal. I wonder how popular a combine the physical size of a TR 85 with the CR style rotor and sperator inside, Case Cleaning Fan, 9000 JD cab, Motor punching about 220-250hp and a price tag of $160k - $180k Aus ($112 - $126 American roughly) would sellIJ Technology has come a heck of a long way in the past 25 years, so instead of building bigger and flasher machines, how about building efficent, simpler and cost effective machines instead...IJ Just a thought. Cheers Bundy.

JD

Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! We have a winner folks! But don't began to feel to "big headed" BundyIJ For many here probably think you would rather have an Out House rather than a Indoor Toilet! Not me, though! I'm in line with your train of thought of thisIJ But there seems to be a lot of "Superfarmer" mentality on the netIJ Bigger ='s better and garners more respect from this personality. I wonder how I wound up here......just lucky I guessIJ JD ps.....Great Post Bundy!

Brodale

Excellent comment. We need simpler machinery to reduce our costs. The last few years we've been slowly upgrading to newer and fancier models and our repairs costs keep going up because there is less and less we can do ourselves. Feel like a rat in a treadmill.

petefwa

The way farming cost margins have been shrinking here in Aussie Icouldnt agree more.The new ones are lovely to drive for 15 hours a day though.

petefwa

The way farming cost margins have been shrinking here in Aussie Icouldnt agree more.The new ones are lovely to drive for 15 hours a day though.