Combines TX 66 s

Cowboy

Some of the weaknesses depend upon the year of combine.I have a 96 and have broken the main drive shaft on the feeder house.This was beefed up substantially on later years.I also had trouble with the strawchopper clutch and ended up replacing it.It seems to be less prone to trouble if you don't drop straw.But I know of a guy with 3500 hrs. that has had no problems at all.You must watch your chopper knives for breakage and make sure you keep them in balance or you will shake things apart.Otherwise mine has been pretty trouble free and just finished helping some neighbours finish up their flax.They use Case rotaries and coudn't get over how the Tx could go through 55' swaths.(Up to 42 acres_hr) and used only 65 gal. of fuel to do 175 acres and switch from dropping to chopping so easily.

All_colours_turned_Yellow

I had a 1994 Tx66 for three years. I presently have a 1997 Tx66 and a 1998 Tx 68. All 3 combines have given me very little problems. I have changed 2 bearings, 3 belts in total, one of these belts was changed due to a bearing seizing in a tightener idler, and the other 2 belts were due to our own stupidity. Over the last 7 years I also had to change one computer board. Straw chopper hammers must be kept an eye on as the chopper does an excellent job of chopping material,and hammers have to be replaced in pairs when they are broken to keep the chopper in balance. During the combine season you will most definately see your neighbours' red, green, silver combines always in your rear view mirrors and you will quit combining when you are too tired to operate the combine, "Not when it is too TOUGH!" The engines are extremely powerfull and very fuel efficient for what they accomplish. If you are interested in buying a Tx, you should consider a 1997 or newer model as these have reversing cylinder drives when they get blocked, and also have adjustable feederhouse front plates. If you are interested I will be replacing one of these machines with a newer vintage model. Both machines have been miticulously cared for and can be purchased reasonable.

wakeman

We've got a 94 TX66, and have had very good luck with it. Right off the bat, we had the main bearing on the drive side of the unloading auger system go out, but that was under warranty. We haven't had any trouble with it since. The chopper does an excellent job, but make sure you have a sharp set of hammers (they're reversible) and stationary knives to make it work properly. We modified the fins on the chopper to make it spread better. This fall, we had our biggest breakdown. The engine twisted the shaft off of the hydro pump. That wasn't a cheap fix. None of the dealers that we spoke with had ever had this happen to a TX before. My only disappointment has been the drive system for the cylinder. The tension on the drive belt isn't high enough. When pushing the machine, I'll usually end up running to the capacity of what the belt can handle without slipping before I start throwing it over the back or pulling the engine down. Otherwise, the only problems we've had have been operator error. If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

860rook

Thanks for your help. I am looking at a '95 with 1400 hours on it. It looks to be in great shape.

en

have 2 98 tx 66 that we installed sonnybrooke cylinder drums in.that made a already good combine alot better,raspbars are ofset so you dont get pinching action accros the same place on concave,plus it must weigh 3 times as much,giving the cylinder more momentum so the belt wont slip.

860rook

Whereabouts are you locatedIJ How many hrs on the machine and what $ would you be askingIJ

All_colours_turned_Yellow

E-Mail your address and phone number to tbmullen@acncanada.net and I will give you all the particuliars on what you need to know and pictures of either machine. Thanks

Cowboy

There is a change up for the torque sensor on the cylinder drive that consists of different ramps and a stronger spring that is not that expensive and makes quite a difference,especially at low cylinder RPM's. I run the cylinder as slow as 380 in some oil seeds and peas and haven't plugged the cylinder in two years since that update.

Cowboy

the lack of an adjustable feeder house face plate makes using a flex head difficult but they can be modified with success as I have found.

pedro

The only point i'll make on the 66 is the final drives. Ours has just on 2000 engine hours and the final drives have just been done up for the second time. 950 hours the first time and 1000 hours the second time. Dealer has told me they haven't seen one 66 (in australia) that hasn't had the final drives go.