Combines field TR 99 fire

JD

NHDon, Don't know if this will help or not but so far no combines fires hereIJ We have had gas powered blowers for years, every evening I blow the whole machine off. Not only does this remove the loose material that would aid in a fire but, it gives the machine the once over with the snozz on full alert to any smokey smells! I do this while letting the motor and turbo cool down. Takes 5 minutes max. Now with that being said, guess I'll expect mine to burn up tommorrow for saying this! JD ps.....remember, I'm speaking from experience with a TR, I assume the same activity would require a much longer period of time allocated to blow off a CR not to mention the use of a cherry picker!!!!

johnboy

Chickpeas are the scarey crop for us and we found by dragging a chain it stopped those little spot fires. Some people say that dragging a chain is rubbish but it seemed to work for us and some Cases that were having the same troubles in the same paddock.I wouldn't bet on it working every time but on the other hand it can't hurt

NHD

JD, I like your idea of blowing things off each evening before you leave the machine. Using a leaf blower really works too. I had a close call once in eastern Colo. near Burlington. I left the machine and it had a hot bearing on the rotor drive shaft that I would have found had I cleaned things off. When I returned the next morning the smell of smoke scared me. Fortunately the fire had burned itself out.Speaking of the CR. It can be blown off and inspected in half the time it takes to look in all the nooks and cranny's on the TR. You can see all the places where chaff might collect, because all of the drives are up above the rotors etc. You don't even have to caeey a 5 gal. bucket to stand on to try to see what's what. The CR has anice place to stand and even a step to get up higher and hand rails too. Also one man can drop and remove the concaves easily. JD, You left yourself wide open for this one.