Combines CR920 Discontinued

scooter

2 920 sold in Ohio and one on a dealer lot being demoed.

cnhboy

Dad sold one of the 2 CR920's in Ohio, went to a guy near Plain City, OH. Are other sources cited for this "cease production" of 920sIJ cnhboy

cycl

This is correct, no more 920's. Reason cited was lack of sales. I wouldn't worry about part availablilty or service campaigns as I know New Holland will continue to stand behind their product. Most popular model by far is 960 and 970 and sales are excellent on these two models.

Dustmaker

The CR920 and CR940 are basically the same machine anyway, except for engine, and grain tank. I believe most other parts are the same, so there should not be a problem.

cnhboy

I read the letter from New Holland up at the dealership about canceling the 920. Sorry to call you out on your post Dustmaker. Ironically, you can make a 920 into a 940 by adding a grain tank extension. (Obviously the 40 hp difference plays a role, but you could probably turn it upIJ) Thanks, cnhboy

Dustmaker

Hey thanks. I guess the ability to turn a 920 into a 940 is a bit more difficult than meets the eye. Originally we thought of getting the 920 with the exact thing in mind that you mention. However, this is not possible, since the internal workings of the 920 engine are not the same, (crankshaft, main and rod bearings, weight of pistons etc.). The engine in the 920's are pretty much maxxed out at their current HP, and I was told if you crank them up, trouble would be on the horizon. I think it's too bad that they are unable to keep this combine and provide a solution to farm that only needs a class V combine. But I guess economics rules in the end.

bm

Not many farmers that only need a class V combine can afford a new one anyway. Deere has the 9560sts coming out this year, and, in my book, is way too late. Don't see much use for it anymore.

JHEnt

I believe that there are no internal differences in the 7.5l genesis engine on the CR920 and 940. The 920 uses the basic Bosche pump that a 8970 tractor used while the CR940 uses a fully electronically controlled Bosche pump. I havn't looked up the parts so I could be wrong but this is my understanding. BTW I have rode along in a CR940 "class 6" next to a 9750STS "class7" in the same field. At best the STS is a close match to the 940 but the owners told me they have always had trouble at speed with the rotor on the STS throwing grain out the back. To get close to the same low loss the CR has they had to run the STS under 4 mph. The CR has run thru grenn stemmed soybeans at 7 mph with hardly a bean lost out the back. They really made a difference compared to the old TR models.

Dustmaker

You may be correct on the engine, I was just going by what I was told by a New Holland rep last year. I was told that the 920 engine could not produce any more power because it was build lighter in some of the areas that I mentioned. He may not of known what he was talking about either, I don't know.

JHEnt

I looked up a couple of parts. The pistons are a different part number from the tractor engines but both combines are identicle. The connecting rods are the same as the 70 series tractors. One has a 675 TA_AA engine the other a 675 TA_CA engine. The engine numbers include differences in the fuel pumps. It looks like the engines are in fact mechanically the same.