Combines grain loss

Riverman

There is at least one man out there that understands combines. And I sure thank you for your Email solution.

Riverman

There is At least one combine man out there that understands harvesters and I sure thank him for his Email solution. Thanks Again.

Unit_2

Case man, I've never cut canola but in wheat I try to keep the loss down to one or two kernals per square foot directly behind the combine. like they say, "a kernal of grain always looks biggest behind a combine." And that is especially true to a farmer who is paying a custom harvester. K.A.

Farm_Kid2

From a lost $ standpoint, you can have what looks like a lot of grain behind the machine and it won't amount to much money. However, you really pay for it fighting the volunteer that it causes. We try to keep the amount behind the machine to a tiny level...2 or 3 kernels of wheat per square foot right behind the center of the machine I would guess. I've yet to see a walker machine that can get down that low.

JHEnt

I think the 940 here was set on 30% sensitivity on the sieve pads. Seemed to incicate right. showed very low when running full load but when operator stopped it shot up, which is what it should do. When the combine is adjusted for full load and you run it empty the fan will blow grain out the back. When loaded the MOG produced an air backpressure but when running close to empty there is no output restriction so the full amount of air that can be pushed by the fan at its set speed blows the thinner layer of MOG out the back. I'm not sure if the Jan_2004 software updates fixed the problems with the automatic setting feature but if so you can set up a "headland" setting. When you raise the head above the programmed max stubble hight you can make the combine automatically open the seives further and slow down the fan. Then when you lower the head it will readjust back to your in-field settings.

NHD

The 30% setting on the chaffer sensors is usually about right. I like to see a little indication in the funnel when everything is working fine and you are running at about 92% of power. The headland feature is really useful in that a lot of the time we go back and forth instead of around the field so it saves some grain if the machine automatically slows the fan speed as the machine runs empty.

JHEnt

Are you now able to override the auto crop setting and the machine keeps your adjustmentIJ last year yet when operating in auto mode any changes the operator made were readjusted back to the originol preprogrammed setting once the header hight resume was pressed. They said that this was going to get fixed but I never saw anything saying it was in the Jan update which so far was the only one.

willie

Has anyone tried some belting on the bottom sieve at the back to stop the air from escaping.I've heard this helps on the cr970's , when operating the sieve fairly tight.Have not got my combine yet,still about a month away from harvest,sitting at dealers lot.

9880sts

how do you like the Menuon the CR. it is a pain in the A.... i was just running the 980 for 2 weeks. it is so easy to make changes on your reel and change crop without starting new jobs and what ever.

JHEnt

"starting new jobs" is only needed for use with a yield monitor. Any YM system I have yet seen requires this. As far as header setup once you select the correct header configuration for the crop the 1st time you don't need to change it again. For instance you use a defined crop of "soybeans" and with that you have the header setup as "flex head",also stored is the header width ect. Assuming you use the same head for wheat you set up wheat to use a "rigid head" since the cutterbar will be locked up. From then on when you change crops you just select the crop you will harvest and all of the header settings will still be there from the last time you harvested the crop including the header wieght calibration values. In other words once done the 1st time its just hook up and go.