Combines grain loss

lONGFEllOW

I DON'T THINK THEY MEANT BETWEEN THE CYlINDER AND BEATER. THERE SHOUlD BE CURTAINS BEHIND THE BEATER. DEPENDING ON THE CROP YOU ARE HARVESTING, YOU MAY WANT TO REMOVE THE CONCAVE INSERTS TO GET MORE CROP ON THE SHOE INSTEAD OF THE WAlKERS. ARE YOUR RISERS ON THE WAlKERSIJ I THINK YOU CAN ADD MORE RISERS TO MAKE THE WAlKERS MORE AGGRESSIVE. AlSO SOME COMBINES HAD A 150% BEATER WHICH WOUlD THROW THE CROP FURTHER BACK ON THE WAlKERS. CHECK THAT THE BEATER DRIVE AND DRIVEN PUllEYS ARE THE SAME SIZE FOR THE 100% BEATER DRIVE.

Dan

I've heard the hardened rod that is welded to the stripper plate for a wear surface can cause alot of shelling. The cob comes down against the hump from the rod protruding up a bit and it can knock off some kernals. I don't know if you could weld a filler iron up next to rod or grind the hump off on a row and give it a try. I think the Hyper boys told me one time that they have strippers made from stainless steel and do not have any kind of wear rod welded to it to prevent that shelling.

RD

THANKS DAN, I'VE GOT ROUND ROD WElDED TO THE EDGES OF MY STRIPPER PlATES. I THOUGHT IT WAS FACTORY (MY OlD HEAD HAD IT TOO) RD

marshall

Are you sure that you were walking it out. In our area of North Texas the grain was popping out of the heads before harvest. What caused thisIJ I am not sure but we have a solid stand in all fields now. I walked my fields before harvest and figured at least 10% of the grain had popped out of the heads. Now if you have a green strip right behind the combine that is different. Either slow down or open the screens up more. If you are not getting docked for FM don't worry about a little trash in the bin.

Deerebines

Alot of that grain you see sprouting on the ground you did not want in the tank anyways. If you would look upon closer inspection I think you will see and find that alot of those kernals are the shriveled one's that you simply blew out the back because they had no weight to them. If you were to put them in the tank it would have severely dropped your test weights and harmed your end product. NO combine will keep every kernal no matter how well you try to set it. They will loose some and the book will tell you how much is an acceptable loss for the size of machine you are running with a certain size platform. Even though these kernals were shriveled and lightweight they will still germinate and make green. You could be right.....there might be some simple little adjustments you need to make whether it be the seives or how fast you are driving but without a grain loss monitor you will need to get out consistantly and check till you find a speed that throws the least out the back and even then on hillsides and terraces there's still not much you can do as they all toss it out the back besides a model like a hillside that's made to fix that problem. Good luck on your judgement

parttimer

All of the comments are appreciated. Additional ones still welcome. I will keep a closer eye when cutting milo. Should do a better job since we will not be ruuning so much straw through it. The milo_corn_beans are looking great. I think all wheat that is left in the field may stay there. Cut a sample last Sat and it had sprouted in the head. At this point everyone is full of sprouted wheat to make feed. I guess we can lay it down and bale it for the mushroom companies. Can not wait to start milo harvest (maybe July 20-25IJ). Have a great weekend.

Riverman

There is at least one man out there that understands combines. And I sure thank you for your Email solution.