Combines 30 973 hd

JHEnt

Didn't you have a 20' for saleIJ The 20' should have had 2 knife drives on it. If you still do have the 20' send me an email. If your not too far from either the St. louis, Chester or Cape bridges I might be interested. jhent51@hotmail.com

Shane_IN

Some of the 20' heads were single drive and some were double drive. We used a double a few years ago and bought a single last year. Doesn't seem to be any difference so far.

cnhtek

The only thing I can suggest is that you make good and sure the knives are timed properly. If they fal out of time the vibration from them can shake the header pretty badly. They should both move to the center and back at the exact same time to counterbalance eachother. Also make sure they knife register is set right once it is in time, that is, the travel of the knife sections from center to center of the guards.

WTW

Don't believe that the 30' 973 ever had a timed knife drive, at least I could not find it on the parts CD that I have. All the later 973 heads had the double knife drive that is not timed, but the knives run at slightly different speeds to avoid the vibration problem.

Shane_IN

I beleive you are correct. The double drive 20' 973 we had used V-belts to drive the gear boxes so any slippage would throw it outta time. The 972 we have uses clog style belts and I think it is supposed to be timed so that they both come towards center at the same time and the clogged belt keeps it from slipping supposedly anyways.

JHEnt

I don't know. I can't seem to get hotmail to load at home. I'll try it at work tomorrow.

Nemotr

My mail is returning some so yours maybe didn't get out. If you want more info you can call me at 573 819 8220 Don