Combines Soybean Harvest

tr

what model header is thatIJ 73CIJ do you like those dividers better than a 973IJ do you have 3 inch or 1 1_2 inch cutIJ

JD

tr, I just put the long dividers back on my 973 after running the loops for several years. The wrapping of the reel ends was just more than I could take anymore. A 30ft 973 has to have been one of the worst designed platforms known to man! Only 2 or 3 days a year it feeds like you would want here, and running in black land with it is a nightmare, oh how it loves to push ahead of the ends!!! Made all the mods in the book, poly sheets on the pans, rubber hose behind the bar. SCH cutter bar...each one helped, but with what I have spent on modifing it and what it has lost over the years from poor performance. I could have bought a MacDon or Honeybee draper in the beginning and probably been much better off mentally and finacially! Even if it won't cut as close in some cases, the elimanation of bunch feeding alone would have been worth mucho deniro! JD

Ilnewholland

It is a 73c. Have the 3" cut. If you no till in corn stalks that is the only way to go. Also seem to be less problems and can cut faster I think than the 1.5". These sections also have a cut out where they bolt on the bar so the bar can flex better. I like these dividers better in drilled beans as they don't seem to run over many beans. Only down side on them is that they seem not to be built as strong as the old one's. So far not to many problems with them as long as you don't hit anything.

Ilnewholland

JD I don't know what they did to make the headers work better but this 73c is no 973. They may look the same but it will out cut the old one's. My old 973 would also push on the ends, mostly at night. This one will never do it. It feeds great and in the daytime we can cut up to 5 mph. After that the cut seems to be not so good in no till beans. At night we go down to 4.5-4 mph. The full finger auger may help someIJ I only have the fingers out on the ends because if I have them all in the auger will carry over to much. The wife would not cut beans before when we had the 973 head's but now she will cut beans all the time as all you do is drop the head and go. You need to get out here and run this and I bet you would like it. Draper head would be nice but I would also look at a 73c head for your combine. Ilnh

tr

JD, I had thought about going to the loops, but I guess you convinced me otherwise. I hate old dividers though, they just lay over too many beans. I have 1.5" cut and am thinking of putting a crary system 3" on my head, I don't no till and plant 30" rows but if the beans are laying over a little bit I have to slow down or I just slobber over a lot of them. As for the rest of the head, it's been outstanding for me, it did have a tendency to drag up on the left side in soft conditions, but I released the spring tension a little bit and it helped a bunch. the only other issue I've had is the left third of the head doesn't feed quite as well, it will but you have to run the reel a little lower and faster than you would like. I adjusted the auger out a little on that end and it helped but did not solve it completely.