Combines CR970 losing grain over seives

Cornsheller

We are in corn country and have problems with sieve loss. NH modified the shoe on all Corn and Bean CR 970 combines last summer to make the shoe more aggressive. Have you had trouble keeping shoe losses down on level groundIJ I think the problem is the air loss around the self-leveling shoe assembly which makes it impossible to get consistent air flow to the sieves.

humpo

Normally not to bad on the flat. Only just noticed it worst going down a slope. You could be right about air leaking around the self leveling shoe, there are alot of open areas. What did NH do to make the shoe more aggressiveIJ

Cornsheller

The throw angle was changed on the upper shoe. The length was increased by 13% and the angle was made more vertical by 33%. This makes the sieve lift (not sure what sieve lift really is) 61% more. The lower shoe angle was unchanged but due to the longer stroke of the upper shoe, the lower shoe length was increased 15% and the sieve lift was likewise increased 15%. To put that into perspective, the length of the upper shoe stroke is now about 1_4" more and the lower shoe is about 1_8" more. The speed (cycles per minute) of the shoe was decreased by 10%. My take is that the change keeps the material from matting over less quickly in high MOG situations but it didn't do a thing to help efficiency in normal operation.

calvin

Are you saying after the fix you still have trouble with shoe lossIJ IF you do what speed are you running, bushel an acre,corn moisture, how many row headIJ

Cornsheller

The sensitivity setting on the upper sieve and lower sieve can't be set any higher than 30, regardless of whether it's the original shoe or the 'enhanced' shoe and still keep the loss monitor within range. This would be harvesting 25% corn at 2500 bu_hr. If you reduce the setting you can speed up but I'm not satisfied with losses at the 30 level. I've seen the same thing in the 8010 combine. If you are willing to sacrifice grain tank sample and_or accept higher losses that will increase capacity. With the original shoe, major losses would occur around 3000 bu_hr and with the enhanced shake shoe that limit moved up to around 3500 bu_hr. I always want losses to be one-half of one percent of the yield or less, regardless of the crop.

calvin

Do you think there is as much MOG put on the cleaning system on a 8010IJ I have seen the grain loss problems on the shoes of CR's and I think part of their problem is being so much MOG on the shoe. They can enhance the shake all they want but till they get rid of some of that MOG I can not see much capacity increase on the shoe.

Cornsheller

I think that the MOG on the 8010 is similar to the CR. The 8010 has more difficulty with where the MOG is at and I hear of guys switching concave sections to 'center' the material coming out of the concave. The CR has a natural balance due to the two rotors. The Deere machines have a higher depth of MOG and I don't think it is all related the the narrower width. Deere doesn't seem to get the separation that the Case or NH machines do. The new 'Bullet' rotor has raspbars instead of the smooth 'threshing modules' and I think that's an effort to thresh sooner and better, thereby allowing for wider concave settings and slower rotor speeds. Distribution of MOG is the issue that has to be addressed along with quantity, in my view.

Joe

Has anyone tried the solid or adjustable air foil manufactured by loewenIJ Has that made a differenceIJ

Boss_Man

Must be nice to have the dough to buy a CR970. I myself am not a big money man farmer cutting high yielding corn. I cut 25 bushel wheat and that that was good for these parts. At 2.00_bushel Canadian before expeneses I am at loss. American and European subsidies are distorting worls grain markets. MAybe I should sell out to a corporate farm and buy a farm in the states.....Could barely afford to buy a 1979 TR70 at a sale 2 years ago and I farm close to 2000 acres and have a herd of cows too. I don't blame US farmers for anything bad that is destroying the farm economy up north of the 49th. It is your arrogant self indulging government. Our lousy government needs to start supporting it's farmer's or there will be economic ruin within the next few years.....operating loans are becoming infamously popular up here. About 40% of the land is up for sale in my area in SE Alberta as of now and will likely be over 50% by spring. Another thing is, who is going to buy all this landIJIJ Even the local hutterite colonies have quit buying agricultural estate and.....times are rough and getting rougher. There is just no incentive to even go out in to the field next spring. It's just so depressing.