Combines Good Bad and the Ugly on the CR 9070

Cutter

The 580R will definitely surprise you as to how much capacity it has. Most everyone I know who has owned a 480R has said the same thing until they tried the 580R.

willie

Just a few comments,I start out with the good things.The fuel economy of the cr970 is great,we get about 19 hours on a tank(250us gallons).That may seem high but thats about 320 acres of heavy wheat crop.Huge capacity=big header,must have 36' header at least to keep this combine feed.Now the downfalls ,feederchains buildt to light ,broke 2 feederchains in last 580 hours,several neighbors same thing.Altanators seem only to last about 200 hours.Stonedoor still scares me,we put a stone though combine late this year ,damage about 10000 dollars Nh says no to warrenty.We had no problems wih rotor drives at all,got to greese rotor sheaves every 10 hours not 50 hours.We keep looking at the cat 580 as a possible replacement,but dealer is 150 miles away

Big_Al

I would say run don't walk away from one of these combines my neighbour had a CR 970 and he dumped it after one year. It had major altenator problems like mentioned and also put a rock through it because of that stupid stone trap sensitivity door also no warranty coverage from New Holland for that. He had a feeder chain go out on him also. And here I think is the biggest reason to stay away from a New Holland combine I keep hearing rumors that CNH is going to scrap the combine line and big tractor line form the New Holland side. Then they will have to paint them white because what you will have is a big White Elephant. My neighbour bought an 8010 and is very pleased with it.

tobaboy

Thanks for the info., the most we've ever done to the 480 with a rock is bend a rub bar, I wish they made a wide body 580, I'm not sure why they chose to do things the way they did. This past year was dry and so the lexions just didn't shine. The salesman said the 560r was doing the same as the 580r...really makes you want to go out and get a 580 ehIJ But seriously some guys in the area with 580s and 480s claim that they are equal in capacity. The 2007 models are coming out with a re-designed shaker pattern which is supposed to help in dry conditions.

willie

Are the sieves just to small on the 580 ,or will the sieves on the 480 overload also.Thought I read about putting cover plates on the rotors to solve this problem.

Cutter

Makes the 560R sound like one heck of a buy. like I said, most who say they are skeptical of the width of the 580R haven't tried them yet.

tobaboy

The 480 will also overload. The cleaning and separating systems on the 500 series have been re-designed, which allows for the 580 to have similar capacity to the 480 on a narrower body. Yes, they do have cover plates for the rotors, but this did nothing for us this year, in fact we were having more of a problem with rotor loss in dry conditions if you can believe that, read my posts on the cat page for more info. We just leave our plates out, we never seem to need them, you only put them in if you are getting excessive sieve loss, but for us the problem is with the rotorsIJ

Ilnewholland

I can not tell you much about a CR as I still have a TR, but these other guy's here telling you about a CR don't even run NH so I may know about as much as they doIJ If the CR stone trap is anything like the TR then it works good. I have not ran any rocks into my TR's over the many years I have had them. Did run a electric fence T post into one, but we just dug it out of the rotors and no damage. I don't think a small rock would do a lot of damage but if you could somehow get a big rock into it I guess it could do major damage. I just don't think if the stone trap door is working right you will get a big rock in thereIJ I think most combine's have damage if a big rock gets into them. I know of a few CR's sold here and everyone that has one seems to like them. A few people that had CIH have traded on CR's. Don't seem to be any major problems around here with them. Don't know about NH not making combine in the future but NH sells more combine's world wide then IH ever did. Think they will be around for a long time. If you like the CR combine then buy it. If you like lexion then buy that. I think both would do a good job for you. For me it would be dealer and price. I have great NH dealers and no Cat dealer here. I would not believe everything you read on here but just look the two combines over real good and I think you would see some nice things on the NH. Good luck!

en

have run 3cr970 combines last 3 years. feeder house is a big problem. 1.feederchain does not last 2.not enough chainlaths 3.rap around in damp beans(big problem) 4.stone eject system does not always open 5.feederchain jumps sprocket when backfeeding occurs. this fall after harvest we have rebuilt the feeder house.weld in on all sharp edges grind it smooth so materialflow does not get interrupted.stonedoor is fitted so material does not hit dooregde and start to roll under feederchain.looking for aftermarket feederchain with better durability and more laths. feeder house on cr is like a bottleneck.like it was fitted to a tr70. im gonna keep trying to tweak on them till i get right,because in good conditions they are working ok.

tobaboy

How is it in wheatIJ Is backfeeding a problemIJ Any idea if they've made any changes to the feederchains for the '07 modelsIJ