Combines I m Switching to Yellow

angus11

Well I think you'll like the TR. We also have a TR-97 and love it. We bought it two years ago and have only had to replace the splined shaft on the bubble up auger. That was our fault, as we added an extension and didn't extend the auger. We use a 6-30 corn head and a 25ft platform for soybeans. We have the electric stone trap which works very good. The only pain is adjusting the center drum on the feeder house when switching from corn to beans. We're going to try to set the drum in one stop and adjust the sensitivity. Good luck with your TR

WTW

Have run TR96 for quite awhile. One update you should do is the torque sensor hub snapring replacement. look under Alerts CNHTEK 's posting on Sept.23_04. Almost burned my 96 before doing the update. Wide spaced concaves will also work fine for corn and edibles. I assume your machine has the 2 speed box for the rotors. A good idea for edibles is to hard surface the vanes inside the rotor housings because edibles can be quite hard on them and once they are gone material will not move and shortly thereafter there will be holes in the sheet metal. Vanes are replaceable but are weldin.

Cornsheller

If you run soybeans you'll really like the capacity difference in green-stemmed crop. I'd agree with the round bar comment for corn and beans. I know a lot of 1660 owners are satisfied but folks who have had a TR97 that I know stay with yellow when it's time to trade.

Ilnewholland

Welcome. I think you will like your TR97. Don't need to many aftermarket parts to make a New Holland run, most will run good with out any upgrades. Bubbleup auger just wears out from grian, my Tr99 will need some work on it's auger this winter. I was thinking of replaceing the auger with plastic poly flightingIJ Seems that would be great on the grain. Also if you don't do a lot of wheat you can run round bar concaves with square bar inserts. That way you don't have to change concaves. Switching concaves is not a bad job to do, just heavy to lift. Your Tr97 will be one class bigger than your 1660 was so you should be able to run bigger heads and go faster. If you have any qustions just ask, someone on here will help you. Good luck.

Ilnewholland

angus11, we run the center drum about 3_4 the way up on corn and beans and never move it. We change the sensitivity on the electric stone trap one click back for beans. Seems to work good but we don't have a lot of stones around here. If we know there is some rocks in a field then we lower the drum some just to be safe. Also we always just keep the front drum all the way up for all crops. To change from corn to beans all we do is change the chopper speed and put the chopper knives in or out. Takes about 15 min. to change over.

Shane_IN

Torque sensorIJ Hate to sound dumb but what exactly are you refering to. We have a TR95 and TR86 that I would like to keep around for a while yet so if I could do a little to keep them from burning then great. Thanks for the info!

WTW

The torque sensing rotor driven pulley has a spring that gives the rotor belt its preload. This spring pushes on a retainer collar (PN690654) which is held in place by a snapring (PN233308)which is subject to failure. Part n's refer to TR96 but others are similar. later TR's are more prone to problems due to increased spring tension. From the parts diagram the 86 appears to be slightly different but probably prone to the same problem.

djack

Thanks Guys! I'm getting excited to get it here so I can start going through it. Thanks especially for the snap ring update info. I'm also currently shopping for a yield and moisture monitor. I think it will really be nice for the amount of custom work I do. Any thoughts on the 974 corn headsIJ ANy problem areasIJ looks like they're designed very similar to a Deere head. I'm alittle concerned how they feed dry, trashy corn.

WTW

Mounting a Deere head is quite easy and the parts tend to be more reasonable. Unless you find a very nice 974 for a very reasonable price I would look for a Deere. I run a 693 and am quite happy with it. A newer series New Holland would also be an improvement.

Big_Al

Hey congrats on your purchase if you are looking for a yield and moisture monitor with mapping capability check out this web site link.