Combines New 9070

ozfarmer

why honeybee and not macdon im still hoping for pros and cons of each from someone

2rotorsrule

The 480 has all it wants with 36' in good crop. No doubt in my mind the 9070 will well outperform the 480. I spent 6 years in one 480 machine...its a good combine but progress is here. We want to try a honeybee...most guys around here prefer them. Out Cat has 36' Macdon...Macdon has good sickles and guards, but they are noisy, the canvas likes to jump track underneath the right side and tears up the fiberglass strip on the draper. The middle drum is crap. The had problems with the ones hooked up to Cat combines and didn't say anything till we went to the Western Canadian Farm Progress Show in Regina Sask. in June and they have changed their adapter twice since our 2001. Complete redesign...not once but twice. It just seems like their still trying to figure it out. The honeybee slopes down as it goes out for better viewing of the cutterbar and draper. Honeybee has better (also pivoting) guage wheels. Honeybee runs quieter, better sickle drive, and all the hydraulic hoses are outside bolted neatly to the back of the header. MacDon runs theirs inside the tube frame...when you start getting oil leaks on your header(you will after enough time) it makes it very difficult and time consuming to find. Those are some things, I will think of more later. MacDon behind the times...built too light. And just so everyone knows I have ran several Honeybee heads, just never owned one.

tobaboy

After running a 36ft. honeybee on a 480 for the past 6 years I have the opposite opinion. We had nothing but headaches from new, most of our downtime for the past 6 years has been with the header. Our neighbors run honeybee's on their machines and seem to like them, they haven't had the problems we've had. The 960 macdon we had previous to this one ran trouble free for 5 seasons and was used when we bought it. We got a new machine for the coming year and we went with a honeybee again. I'm hoping the new head is better then our old one.

2rotorsrule

I can honestly say 80% of our downtime was our Macdon head. oil leaks, problems with the drum...breaking the actual sickle bar, breaking stuff that attaches the sickle to the drive unit...stuff like that. I really hate the reel...it settles in the middle and you have to cycle it every few hours. Macdon told us to bleed it so we did....not any better, then they came down, they said its just "one of those things" whatever that means.....Not to mention again how freakin noisy this thing is.....the only good thing about picking up windrows is it gets very quiet to what you get used to with the Macdon on Good luck anyway, couple weeks and we'll be going on our spring wheat here in Northern South Dakota...Some winter wheat in the area will start early next week

Cutter

You are going to find that the New Holland is not as efficient to run as the lexion. Everything about a lexion's way of working equals "natural flow" from its wide feeder house to the metering capabilities of its APS system.

2rotorsrule

I guess we'll see...Our TR 98 would almost keep up with the lexion in wheat, and in tough beans our TR 98 would out combine the Cat, so I guess our 9070 should give it some stiff competition

Cutter

Class 6 vs. Class 8...this isn't even worth discussing. Good luck.

tobaboy

How are the crops down there. I'm interested in hearing how you like the CR. We demoed one a few years back and it would keep up with the 480r. I thought that it could probably do more when its hot and dry, but less when its tough. They brought it out without any filler plates and that was a big mistake in wheat. Great cab. Good luck.

Rotorhead

Your telling me that a TR98 (not even a TR99) will combine as much as a 480IJ Then I guess you saying that a 2388, 9760 sts, TR99, and a 480 are all about the same sizeIJ I guess all the years of talk on this forum that a class 8 machine will almost replace a two sclass 6 machine are not factual. Foolish talkIJ