Combines CR v s CX

Frenchie

We ran a couple of TR's before switching over to a CX 840. What crops do you growIJ The CX is a very good machine and doesn't have all the wear associated with it compared to a rotary. Burns less fuel and I believe the CX is cheaper to operate in the long run. The CR probably does a little better job not to damage the grain. The CX is quite agressive and can split or crack grain more than a CR. We are north of Edmonton Alberta and the crops we grow are Wheat, Barley, Canola, and Oats. The crop the CX is weakest in I would say is Barley. losses over the sieve and walkers start to climb when ground speed picks up. It does a wonderful job in wheat and canola. The wide feederhouse is really appreciated in canola crops. We swath everything with a 21 foot swather and travel around 4.5 - 5.0 mph. The combine can go faster but to do the job that is where you should be. Yields of Barley are 100 bu + CPS Wheat at 85 - 100 bu ac and canola 55 - 70 bu_ac. I hope this helps

wakeman

We've run a TX66 since '94, ran a TR99 for 3 years, a CR970 for one season, and now have purchased a new CX8080 to run alongside our TX66. I'm sold on the TX and CX vs. TR and CR. If you tend to harvest under tough conditions, the conventional design handles it much better. On a dry sunny day, the TX66 and TR99 would go head to head, but as the sun would go down on the horizon, the TX would keep going and the TR would fall way back. The TX_CX combine is engineered and built to a higher standard (in my opinion). I believe the TR_CR combine was_is built for corn and soybeans, while the TX_CX was_is built for small grains with the capability to do it all. The twin rotor is definitely better in delicate crops such as peas, but cannot handle getting down on the ground to get those peas if you have any rocks around like we do. We bought a 2004 CR970 this past summer and used it for all but our soybeans. We ended up demoing the CX8080 on the soybeans and bought it. I had problems with green buckwheat from some low areas straight cutting wheat wrapping around the top feeder shaft then breaking loose feeding in wads. This eventually broke the feeder chain which we had to replace (messed it up pretty good). It did the same thing with clean dry flax straw every once in a while where the flax had been lodged so the straw was curled a bit. Flax straw is tougher, though, and I broke maybe half a dozen shear pins on the concave which caused some major frustration as every time the pin broke, the concave jammed in the down position and we had to rig a system using a hydraulic jack to push it back up into place (not the safest thing in the world to do). On the plus side, the CR970 will really eat the grain - lots of power. If you don't work in tough conditions much, or don't intend to push your combine to the maximum that it should be able to do, the CR is a great combine. If you sometimes work with green weeds when straight cutting (we don't pre-harvest Roundup due to seed production),combine tough grain, etc. then the CX is definitely the better machine. We've had very few issues with our TX over the years other than things wearing out due to the number of bushels through it, and I expect the CX to be the same, as the design is basically the same with more capacity and they are both built in Belgium. let me know if there are any specific details you'd like to know that I didn't mention here.