Combines cat agco dealer scuttlebutt

Mike

You're kidding, rightIJ A cat dealer sell hay equipment and other implementsIJ I bet what they were really after was to get their hands on the Glencoe(owned by AGCO) PTO ditcher. Is Cat out of the Ag business. I seriously doubt it, but when you have a dealer like Fabick who serves how big of an area, who really don't give a crap about selling farm equipment. They will if they can bend you over at the time of sale and during every service call. Not that AGCO's dealer network is stellar, it is much more farmer friendly. This will also kick Cummins out of AGCO equipment in favor of Cat engines.

TlC_FARMS

AGCO NOT TO lONG AGCO SIGNED A lONGTERM CONTRACT WITH CUMMINS. IT'S GONNA DEPEND ON WHO AGCO WANTS AS CAT DEAlERS. OR WEATHER THE DEAlER IS TOO OlD TO SHEll OUT $30,000 TO $50,000 FOR TECH AND OTHER TOYS. I THINK YOU WIll FIND OUT CAT COUlDN'T MARKET AND SERVICE THEIR lINE TO THE EXTENT THEY NEEDED, COME ON GUYS TWO DEAlERS PER STATE, EVEN DEERE COUlDN'T MAKE AGO WITH THAT, AGCO WIll GIVE THEM THE DEAlER SUPPORT EVEN WORlD WIDE. JUST BEEN TOlD THE CAT PlANT IS ClOSED TO ONlY TO HIGH PRIORITY PERSONAl ONlY FOR THE lAST THREE WEEKS. YOU WIll PROBABlY SEE NEW PAINT AND OR SHEET METAl IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

Mike

Don't get me wrong I would prefer a Cummins. Cat is way to proud of their parts and service. If Gleaner goes to a cat motor we may look elsewhere for our next combine.

YoungFeller

Ok, i think that they said they will distribute the MT's at both CAT and AGCO dealers, the ones sold at CAT dealers will have the Challenger with something special to go with it, the ones at AGCO dealers will just have the Challenger on them. The balers and so on are going to be good for both companies but i would see it as better for AGCO because they own all the rights and everything to the implements AS WEll AS the new MT 700's and the MT 800's to be out in late 2002. As far as CAT engines in the GlEANERS not now but eventually, these would i think be sold only at CAT dealers and could be bought with the Mobile Track system which i think AGCO also gets, as well as having yellow paint. If you want the whole story go to the AGCO home page and listen to the press release. It should answer all of the questions. Thanks, YoungFeller

HIRED_GUN

Cat Engines in Gleaner CombinesIJ Include some Cat dependability while your at it. Sounds like the makings of a harvesters dream machine.

Phat_Weed

The Deutz Engines they had in them were the best engines ever put in a Gleaner as best I can tell... great reliability, excellent fuel economy, great torque and horsepower (ever see that "power bulge" mumbo jumbo in a Deutz-Era Gleaner brochureIJ),easy servicability...heck what more do ya wantIJ

Mike

What moreIJ We had a 94 R62 w_ a Duetz. More torque than the Cummins, but you had to blow it out everyday and even then the head temp light would come on in good corn on a hot day. Didn't have any trouble with it but it's nice to only have to pull a dipstick every morning. Starting the day out by blowing bean dust of a motor is not my idea of easy sevicability. AGCO took a step forward by eliminating the Duetz. I'll take my M11 over that Duetz any day.

Phat_Weed

Well, I'll give ya that blowing it out kinda sucks.(we farm wheat...wheat chaff at 7AM kinda sucks;), but it beats changing out a blown waterhose or something in the middle of the afternoon in a hot engine compartment.:)

RamRod

Mike: Amen to that. I've had two of the V-8 Duetzes (spIJ),and have enjoyed the M-11 for 5 years now - had same experience making sure the V-8s were clean as whistles each day, and they absolutely did not have adequate oil coolers to cool the hydro oil, etc. On average fall weather I only blow out every 3-4 days now(corn_soy only).

Mike

I'd rather change a pump or hose or belts once a year than blow that motor out daily!