Combines latest on the Cat combines via article from DirectAg

Vikes

I think you should do a little more research into the differences between a Claas and AGCO combine. A Gleaner or a Massey are no where near what a Cat_Claas is. AGCO puts $0 into their combines as far as R and D goes.

Rooster

Vike's, he doubts your Gleaner experience! Better lay it on him!

Vikes

I ran on a custom harvest crew for five years running a Gleaner R-62 and a R-72. I ran nearly 25,000 acres through the combine. The last three years I had the oppurtunity to run a Cat 485. I know both combines very well and it is my opinion that the Cat combine is better combine overall. Gleaners are easy to work on yes and they do have high capacity, but how long can Gleaner remain a combine player in North America with a 20+ year old design. AGCO puts $0 money into advnaced engineering, they prefer a face lift of the old design every couple of years. After running a Gleaner for 5 years, it was a tough sale for me to go to Cat and to be honest, it was not until this year (2001) that I really was fully sold on the Cat as a viable option to a Gleaner, but now I can say that I am a Cat guy.

Illinois_Gleaner

Are not the red ones and the yellow ones running on 20 year old designIJIJIJIJ And wasnt green running on an 100 year old design up until a couple years ago. And still are on some of there models .So to me that the design being an old one doesnt carry water. If you think that the Claas makes you more money then good for you. And I'm glad to hear you have run the Gleaner not just bashing it because Agco bought the challanger.So is the Red and the Yellow ones as well as Gleaners going out because they have old designsIJIJ Illinois Gleaner

Vikes

I don't know if you have heard, but there is a new red (case) and yellow (New Holland) coming out within the next three years. I do think it has hurt both of those companies. When you enter the New Holland cab (TR 99) it is like going back in time about 20 years. Case has made minor changes to their design over the years, but basically it is the same combine although it has a lot of new features on it. In my opinion I think that AGCO is no longer going to be a designer_developer of equipiment, rather they are going to try and get technology through aquisition of other companies or other companies products. Thus the MT tractor purchase. AGCO needed a high technology tractor and instead of research they bought a tractor.

Illinois_Gleaner

So who is the smart one in all of thisIJIJIJIJIJIJ Who has shown a profit in these hard times and who hasntIJIJIJ Who is doing the buying and who isntIJIJIJIJ Why would anyone want to try to bring a new, and I mean new from the groung up,model out in this ag economyIJIJIJ Cat didnt go out and develop a combine they bought the tecnology. Put CAT on the side and stand behind it, and you have a good productIJIJIJ RightIJIJ I dont think that the Axial Flow has had anymore improvements then the Gleaner in the last 20 years,they are both virtually the same machine with more hp and nicer cabs. Illinois Gleaner

johnboy

Vikes,for a start the R62's and 72's are different to the R60's R70's and they were different to the N models. Yes they are up to 10 years old now but there is a lot of difference between a 92 to a 2000 version and yes we have had all of the above series.We traded one of our gleaners on a TR99 this year and the NH worked with a lot of other combines this year and not once was it embarrased by the job it was doing compared to the "new high tech" others.In fact the owner of 11 combines working with the TR asked "when is that Bl***Y THING going to break down after another bad day with his new high tech machines. I would like a better cab and that will be here with the new models but i like better the fact that i am inside the cab harvesting instead of outside fixing.john