Combines your opinion

claas4ever

Allan,I have had Jd STS and Case 2388 come out and test in wheat and would not own either one of them, I am not impressed with any of the rotarys, I still prefer the walker machine and as far as I am concerned the best walker machine out there if you can find a good used one is ClAAS!!I would put our 98Sl up against anything out there in its size category.

greenstrat

listen to your dad, 750 will do a lot of work. Wife and I go to Husker Harvest Days every fall for grins and to get away for a couple of days just before our harvest cranks up. I watched all the machines and they all have so much more capacity than anyone needs it is hilarious. No one builds a replacement for a smaller (used to be called midsize) machine such as an 850. Every one of these new large ones cost way more than a decent 80 is worth. The massey 8780 is probably the easiest to repair of all the machines I have seen. Problem is dealer support is real thin unless you live near one of the very few. have a great day! GS

alan

claas4ever, I have to agree that a walker machine in small grains can do a very good job. I am

claas4ever

Allan, I like my joke better, A farmer was working on his JD combine when his neighbor,who has a CASE IH combine comes excited to his cab and tells him that while harvesting his field, he saw a rabbit get pulled into the front of his combine, he heard noises and when he checked things out he saw the body of the rabbit that came out of his combine, to his astonishment the body was complete with only the head and legs missing. While they are talking they see a rabbit running into the front of his JD, then they hear some banging noises.they stop and go out to check it out and wow! the rabbit is out with only his head missing! They run excited to their friend who is operating a ClAAS combine. They hop on the cab and tell the friend the rabbit's story. before they finish telling the story,they see a rabbit! running into the ClAAS pickup! they hear some banging and then stop to see what happened, they see the rabbit running away from the combine. While they remain speechless, the ClAAS operator goes to the grain tank moves aside some grain, picks up the sack with the balls of the rabbit and says"ClAAS takes out only the seeds"... I am located in Ohio, we harvest wheat, beans and corn, we first started with a MF 510, Mf550, and then in 1987 bought a Claas dominator 78 best move we ever made, we ran that up until end of this year harvest and bought a 1992 model 98sl hope we have as good of luck as with old one.

alan

claas4ever, That was a good one. Had no idea where you were going with that one, but got a good chuckle at the end.

hv_user

mx 270 I like your comments on comparing combines. You buy a combine to harvest a crop, as fast and inexpensive as possible. The problem with a lot of DEERE owners is they don't look at any other combine. I have always looked at other combines, and talked to there owners to learn as much as I can. I think John Deere should get A prize, the first rotory with more moving parts than any conventonal. Sorrey ,I told myself I would not do this but I could't stop.

dakota

A little histroy here mx270. CAT only seems to be new to the combine market. But their lexion is made in Germany by Claas. And Claas is making combines for over 50 years at least. CAT itself had early experience with combines, too. I guess it was in the 50s when they had a combine, but decided to stay in the construction business. CAT sold its combine patent to John Deere. This is how Deere got its first combine.

Meathead

Greengoose, it sounds like you need to learn to set the Case. We run a 2188 with a 25ft. 972 MacDon and can cut 190bu. rice about 3.2 to 3.7mph (depends on conditions) with very little machine loss (approx 16-20 grains per sq ft behind combine) that is less than 1 bu. an acre. We run about 6mph in 70-75bu. wheat(can't grow that 90bu. stuff yet). We have adjusted the fuel pump a little (300hp),so hp is no problem. We can run 5-6 mph in 50bu soybeans. We ran a 9600 deere for years before the Case, and the 9600 will not hold a candle to the 2188. later, the Meat.

NHD

Farm Show magazine conducted a survey of Custom harvestors. Asking for best and worstfeatures. Believe me the custom Harvestors really know whats good and what isn't. After all they put 500-1000 hours a season on a combine. Sure do see a lot of problems with JD's look in the Jan. 2002 issue of Farm Show magazine. The article is titled "Custom Harvestors Nominate the best and worst combines". The web site www.farmshow.com

NHD

Go to the MF site to see all the comments Farm Show magazine has the real good info from custom harvestors. NH gets good comments.