Combines CAT corn head

dakota

Both heads do a fair job in chopping stalks. Are your stalk rolls or knives worn outIJ

moose88

Even when it was brand new it didn't do a decent job on stalks and that is with knife rolls.Which does better CAT or CaseIH

justapurrin

the cat head does do a nice job with knife rolls, the stalk rollers do an alright job! but the real kicker is the price of the knives for the knife rolls them selves 30$ a piece and there is 8 on each row unit, do you all think this is a little steepIJ is it in line with JDIJIJIJIJIJIJ

land_Surfer

There isn't a knife roller equipped cornhead available in the US that is capable of performaing as well as, or to the level of the lexion cornhead. Only a cornhead equipped with shredder or rotary chopper can cut as good as or a little better. The lexion head's knife rolls have four blades each, whose blade's cutting edges are timed so that they meet, creating a very well defined and agressive cutting action (e.g., like the old CaseIH headers did). All other heads, whether knife or fluted roll, have staggard edges that crimp the stalk during gathering. This crimping action that occurs with staggard knife or fluted rolls certainly requires more power to operate too. With the lexion's large feederhouse drive pulley and double V belts, these heads can cut in all conditions, at any height, without any fear of overloading and_or failing its feederhouse gearbox header drive system (one heck of a problem with my JD combines). The lexion's cornheads are also built extremely strong, not cantilevered like other makes and still with a front carrier bearing that I don't mind greasing when the head performs as well as it does in the conditions it has to be in - very rigid and stout when having to operate in down corn conditions. Heck, if not buying a lexion combine, I would certainly think about buying their cornhead for another make of combine, they will take less power and cut well enough to satisfy most considering a cornhead with a chopper...cheaper than a chopper head too.

land_Surfer

As I understand, the lexion knives are well hardened carbide. Mine look as good as knew after three seasons and i've even seen some at the dealer who are atleast 5+ years old that have never had their blades changed yet, according to the dealer, and they still look good enough for me. Therefore, if they last well into 5 seasons, 30 bucks a blade is fine with me, because I know the head is going to last longer than that.

justapurrin

landsurfer where do you farm at because we cant get but about 2 maybe 3 years out of ours and claas says that it is because we farm in sandy soilIJIJ sounds a little fishy to me!!! but i can't figure it out why they wont last a little longer. if you get 5 years on a set deffinately 30$ isnt bad!!!

dakota

Yes, try one and let us know how the header loss compares to the JD.

land_Surfer

I could see how sandy soil would affect the wear of the knives. You wouldn't have to cut too low to reach the region of the stalk where sand might splash onto the plant when it rains, especially during a down-pour.

low_end_torque

If you price both deeres and cats, cat is cheaper. Or at least that is what i got quoted to redo our deere 893