Combines auction results

bm

I don't understand why on these message boards (and not just this one)that everyone is anti-Deere, and everything is compared to a Deere. It's always such and such will outrun a Deere, such and such is built better than a Deere, and so on and so forth. It's obvious that Deere has set the standard for comparison. It's just strange how that is and Deere still has the market in almost every type of equipment. I'm not trying to start anything, I don't own ANY equipment from any manufacturer. It almost seems that SOME people are jealous because they aren't running Deere. Does anybody else ever notice what I'm sayingIJIJIJ Just my two cents.

Dairyman

I think the reason I compare to Deere is that I have been subjected to years of their jibes about "why would anyone own a -----" The other brands don't seem to be as willing to give free opinions.

WFEOlI

The reason we are always shooting for_at Deere is because we think it is so unfair that they have so much of the market with machines that are so blatantly inferior to our Gleaner combines, White planters, and AGCO tractors. We're not aiming at them because they have set a standard of performance (well, the bottom standard maybe),but because they have market share that is not indicative of the quality of their products, but rather the intensity and successfulness of a really good marketing department. Believe me, I am not at all jealous because I'm not running a Deere; rather, I'm proud to be one of the few independent thinkers in this society who has made a decision that was based on my own conclusions and findings, rather than simply buying what the neighbors are running across the road. Way too much of that going on. I am convinced that if more farmers actually took the time to research their equipment options out there and critiqued a piece of machinery based on field performance, capacity, serviceability, and accessibility, as farmers did in days past, Gleaner would be in Deere's market position and Deere would sell maybe 25 combines a year. Those are my thoughts on why I always enjoy sparring with Deere. Pardon me for being frank, but... I really hate that company.

T__langan

bmoney - you were making some sense right up until you said you think some of us are jealous that we are not running Deeres. We have had 9 Gleaners since 1974 - more than ample opportunity to switch to the green line if we were "jealous" that we weren't running them. The reason everything is compared to Deere is the simple fact that they have the largest market share. When these PC's were first going mainstream, all others were compared to IBM - new operating systems are compared to Windoze - seed corn is always compared to Pioneer, etc..... I like to use a little anology - Deere is like that big fat kid back in grade school who always was King of the Mountain on the big snow piles. The idea of King of the Mountain is to knock that fat kid off the pile so you can be up there. When and if you get to be King, everybody tries to knock YOU off. Get the driftIJ Deere's resale value has to do with two things - they have a strong dealer network and the best marketing division - mostly the marketing. Take a gander through the toy dept. the next time you're in a store. Almost All toy tractors, even if they don't say "John Deere" on them, are green and yellow. Ask any city kid to draw a farm tractor and he'll no doubt make it green and yellow. Deere has gotten the hearts and minds of the kids and they grow up programed to think Deere is superior. It's almost like they've been hypnotized - and if you've ever seen one of those hypnotist shows where the guy gets crowd members up on stage and make them do things they wouldn't ever do if they were in their right minds, you'll have seen Deere customers. :)

WFEOlI

Good to hear some support out there. But I would encourage you to try a White planter against your Deere. In a number of university trials, and also our own field trials between the two, the White beats the Deere hands down in seed placement and changeover. In fact, the White planter is every bit as superior to the Deere planter as the Gleaner combine is to that Deere, oh whatever it is.

bm

Good to hear you guy's responses!!! Here's the thing though...back when (before I was born),all these companies were pretty much equal. They all had their dealers in every little farm town, and all their equipment was about the same. However, there is now ONE company left that is still owned by the same company...and that is John Deere. Somewhere along the line John Deere had to do something right. Ever notice how when Deere completely redesigns a line of equipment, that everyone seems to follow. look at the MaxEmerge planter way back when. Does the Kinze unit look familiarIJ How 'bout the WhiteIJ The new CIHIJ The FlexiCoilIJ Then the 8000 Series tractorIJ Notice how everyone else is going to the same design including the new Magnums and the AGCO tractors with the engine way up front so the tires turn within the frame. Yeah, the Genesis is different, but CNH is going to drop it. Then the 4700 sprayers. The new AgChems look like it, the new Wilmars look like it, and they've all adapted the airbag suspension system that made the 4700 a superior machine to the others when it was introduced. Now it's the Deere tine system on the combines with the "egg-shaped" rotor cage. It's definately a good concept for a horizontal rotor, and there is strong word that there will be a CNH combine, whether it be a NH or CIH, that will have tines. How is Deere's marketing department better than anyone else'sIJ Do you see a lot of advertisements that sway your opinion on a piece of machineryIJ I'll admit that they always have the best display at a farm show, but hey, they're the biggest company, the ought to. Deere sells so much because they offer very well-built products that are not inferior to any other products (I'm a consultant for the ag purchasing department for a major university. I've looked over tons of equipment of every brand over my life.). Plus when you go to a Deere dealer they All have it all, and it's the same brand and same color. This is a big deal. Plus the Deere parts and service system_support is far superior (and I mean far superior) to all the other mfg's. I'll tell you what, if you had an 8000 tractor painted orange, silver, red and silver, or whatever you'd love it. Same with an STS combine. And it works both ways. So, like I said earlier, I don't want to start a war here, but I don't understand why everyone that doesn't own a Deere "hates that company." They are a great company, and if you visit their website, their new slogan is "Solid. Stable. Still John Deere." ...And they ARE the ONlY major ag company that can say that. Hey guys, this is a great website. It's here for our benefit. I enjoy everything everyone has to say, but there's no reason to rip on a company just because it's bigger that the one you prefer. Which brings me to my biggest point. like someone else said, it's personal preference. Be proud of what YOU own. It all does the job.

T__langan

I'll second that. Also have heard things about vacuum planters sucking too much dirt since the vacuum is right down there in the dustiest areas of the planter when they're operating. Don't remember right off hand what problems the dust created, but do remember posts about it in the past.

T__langan

Me thinks you need to do a bit more research on equipment development history, bmoney! Deere is notorious for being among the lAST to implement new designs and technology! How is the White planter a copy of anything Deere ever made. Deere was the last to come out with air metering in planters. The last to use the Funk type tranny in their tractors. The last to go to a cab-forward design in tractors. The list goes on forever! Deere was first with two things - the plow (and some argue that even!) and a nice, quiet cab. They were quickly overtaken on the cab design too. You're giving Deere WAY more credit than they deserve. If we were running equipment that had only been copied from Deere designs, all combines would still have walkers, all have two cylinder engines, steel wheels, never had a corn head for combines, manual linkages for everything, fuel guzzling engines, no turbos, etc, etc, etc...... History tells the tales of who copies who.