Combines auction results

Harm

RF you are absolutly right about supply and demand. Eventaually the market rules, for most of us,but NOT all of us. And that is where politics comes in. Can your local hospital advertise for doctors in ChinaIJ NO. Why not. There are lots of very highly trained, educated,english speaking doctors there that would love to come to USA and work for 1_4 of what you are paying now but we have immigration rules to protect American jobs. And rightly so. BUT THOSE lAWS DON'T PROTECT YOU !!!and your job of farming. WHYIJ Because we're too nice.And we don't DEMAND that they do.like the vast majority of voters have. We don't threaten their (politician's) jobs. The supply and demand equation always wins in the end. That is why communisim went down. But it is not being universally applied to all sectors of the North American economy equally. And that is where political pressure and power come into the equation.

rf

I appreciate your feedback I dont see the comparison between drs and corn prices. However I do know this. Any foreign national can come to the us and work and as long as that doctor meets and passes the rigerous requirments that an MD is required to demonstrate then he or she is welcome to practice here in the us. However they are not going to work for 1_4 of what the american dr will work for because they cannot afford to work for 1_4 less due to all the insurance and cost that it takes to establish a practice here. And if there were too many doctors and hosptials could afford to pay them what janitors make, kids would stop going to med school. Howewver the demand for doctors is what drives the cost of doctors. Ford will stop building cars if nobody buys them, Deere will stop building combines if nobody buys them. Why is it we think those same rules dont apply to agricultiure. Politics is not going to create a $2.00 jump in corn price. Politics has not created $80 crude oil. Government controls dont work and reliance on them is a false foundation. WE've got allot of other things our tax dollars need to provide other than to provide a false sense of security to an agriculture economy that is too productive for the demand for it products.

Harm

Sorry to take this site so off topic of combines, but if things don't change we won't need them. RF again you are right, about the demand of dr's exeeding supply. BUT the supply side of the equation is being restricted. And I think the American medical association has input into that.(politics)!! You said that if we (farmers) all take a year off (restrict supply) things would change. Your right! Control part of the equation and it works in your best interests. I grow Apples along with some grain and other stuff. labour is the biggest part of our (apple growing)cost. I can't go out in the world and buy the cheapest labour. Which is available at 1_10 of what we are by law told to pay. We have minimum employment standards to protect our standard of living, which I agree with. But I am expected to sell my product in North America against those country's that can hire apple pickers at $.50 cents an hour. That's where politics comes in. Our grain inputs are largely produced in shops subject to minimum north american_european standards that insure the workers have a decent american type standard of living. But we have to sell against countries that don't have those same standards. THAT's where political pressure comes in.That's where politics comes in. That's where poltical pressure on trade negotiations comes in. And that's where we politicaly weak farmers are being traded away.

Hooter

I agree with what you guys all say, but it is hard to go a year with no income when you are broke. Try telling the bank that you are not going to grow a crop for a year and what do you do with the stock you raise. Calves keep coming, and you got to put them somewhere, and the comsumer knows it.