Combines cats at auction

c_k

Combines were on a sale at Buxton N.D. I attended and seen them sell. If memory serves me right a 470 and 480 sold for 47,000 to the same buyer. These were the auctioneers combines that he leased out through his lease program. Rithchie Brothers just bought this auctioneer out so he is liquidating his lease inventory. He claimed to have bought these machines down south brought them up and spent 10,000 to 12,000 and they were only run for this harvest say 300 hrs. Third cat was farmer owned I believe a 480 and brought 44,000. Auctioneer was not happy with price and after they sold he said "I hope they bring you as much joy as they have brought me" and then said "I dont blame you for not wanting one" due to the lack of bidders. Got a few laughs from the crowd. This is what I remember for what its worth. All were nice looking machines

kp

This is really too bad. I have always said - if these machines were painted green they would be in everyones yard. No kidding. You take the resale problem away, and some other minor issues, and these are great machines. Complex, mind you.

claasuk

lexions are more complicated than some of the opposition, but if you want performance in a compact unit they have to get it from somewhere! We have worked on about 80 of these machines and they are the most reliable we have known. There are plenty of machines over here with 2500+ hrs on and they give no trouble other than normal wear and tear items. Its Europes No 1 seller, and they're not all fools. I think the difference is backup, we're not Claas agents but you don't need a degree or a Claas sign to keep them going. I would have bought if I had kept my eyes on the ball, and gone to Dennis's Sale!! Worlds a big place to have your eyes everywhere at once!

MostlyGreen

Has Marv made you the "Forum Boss", Harvester! Customcombiner and Calvin have every right to post thier thoughts, especially when they're based on fact. "The typical lexion buyer is likely not one who attends every auction in the county looking for the cheapest buy. Rather, he tends to be the more professional grower who would rather pay a bit more perhaps and buy from a reputable dealer who can support him in parts and service." Is THIS statement based on factIJ Have you polled the CAT owners and arrived at this resultIJ Your post reads as though only "unsophisicated" buyers attend auctions. How pompous can one beIJ "Knowing this, a lexion owner who is retiring or otherwise needs to sell his combine, is far better advised to let his dealer sell it for him so that it can be marketed to the right buyers." Not an easy feat to achieve, especially when the dealer has several similar traded units already sitting in his yard. Do you think for one minute that a dealer is going to sell a consigned unit over an inventory unit, especially if he has substantial dollars invested in the tradeIJ Aside from that, the dealer probably has limited (or no) low-rate financial tools to help sell the consigned unit, as he would with a trade. I "think" the biggest reason for "Fire-sale pricing" at some of these auctions comes down to one four-letter word; - CASH! Auctions are for cash customers only, and there seems to be fewer of these types of customers around!

CORNKING

I guess then all the guys that I seen up at the Buxton auction with lexions caps and coats must have been lost. Or they were just dum farmers like the rest of us there. Man what a IDIOT statement. There Mr. Harvester.

Rockpicker

I agree. Guess I am just a pheasant working the land instead of a "professional" farmer since I don't run a lexion.

Rotorhead

Many (meening alot) of my neighbors wouldn't buy from this auction company because of past sales. let me just say (it may be rumor, but I doubt it) that I have heard of real horror stories of sales at consignment sales expecially his. He may not knowingly participate however there are some pretty scary sales at the buxton location. And many farmers wouldn't go there to buy a big ticket item.

Harvester

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!!! You guys completely misunderstood my point. I didn't mean to offend, not at all. My sincere apologies to those of you who mistook what I said, such as you Cornking and Rockpicker. I won't resort to namecalling as you have done, but please let me better explain what I meant. The lexion is a high capacity combine, agreedIJ One that is capable of amazing throughput with great performance. It is also not well understood by most of us since we haven't been around it for 20 years like the Axial Flow or the Gleaner. Those are familiar combines and many of their owners can fix nearly everything on those combines themselves. The same cannot generally be said of the lexion (there are always exceptions),primarily because it is still fairly new to us in North America. And when you look at the farmers who can justify a machine of such capacity, it more often than not tends to be the larger acreage farmers. I should have said that in the first place, rather than perhaps implying that the larger acreage farmers are more professional, whatever professional means. I was merely trying to point out the err in logic that suggested that lexions sell poorly on auctions because they are poor machines. That is absolute bogus and I cry foul! Auction values are based on supply and demand, and face it, there are fewer guys out there looking for BIG high capacity lexions than for 9600 John Deeres. Simple as that. When was the last time you met a 500 acre farmer who runs a lexionIJ That is all I was trying to say. P.S. Was the crowd really that full of lexion caps and coats at the auctionIJ I didn't realize that lexion apparel was so prevalent. P.S.S. "dum" is correctly spelled dumb. Also, the article "a" in front of IDIOT should be replaced with "an" in order to be grammatically correct. Good day, and again, my apologies for not being more clear.

CORNKING

Harvester please go back and read my post I never called you any names I said that was a idiot statement. And I stand buy that because it was. Oh I know how to spell dumb but how I read your post the rest of us dum farmers dont know anything about iron so we attend auctions. Because the lexion guys just buy from dealers. I know of a neighbor that had the cat dealer sell his, and it took 2 years 2 move it and he still felt like he got ah can you say screwed.Have you ever did a finacial statment they go buy market value. Or if what I am reading in to your post lexs guys always pays big cash to there dealers. I can tell you no loan company bank or what have you will want to loan money on a lex if they have to wait for a dealer to sell them. Maybe you did not mean it that way but it sure sounded like the rest of us guys are not up to the standards of the lexion owners! I will talk to you over on the red page.