Combines lexion 570R Challenger 670

Rooster

The Cat dealer is probably trying to sell you the Challenger to get it off their lot and in three years will give you nothing for it so it doesn't come back. What year is the Challenger, an '04 or '05 probably, they haven't hardly made any since then (check serial number, don't go buy the selling year).

Silver_Shoes

Im not sure of your area, but Kansas has quite a few challengers running and reports have been good. Custom cutter friend has 2 670's and says he likes them alot, traded deeres for them.

greenthumb

The Challenger 670 is under powered and has a very poor cleaning shoe. Agco refuses to invest money in harvesting technolgy. It is basically the same design as the old White combine. Depending on crops, you may need to reconfigure the rotor, what a hasle, if you do that, you should buy a CIH 2388. The lexion on the other hand will cost more, but will harvest 25% more than a Challenger. In addition it is easy to change from crop to crop with this machine.

KSFarmer1

I don't know how it could be underpowered. It has 10 hp more than the JD class 7 machine. Do you really know anything about a Challenger combineIJ AGCO, believe it or not, is right up there with the other manufacturers. It really bugs me when people who don't give AGCO products a first or second look spout off about how bad they are.

Cutter

Any extra horsepower that an AGCO (Massey, Challenger, Gleaner) axial rotor combine has will be consumed by the excessive power requirements brought about by the parasitics associated with the inefficiency of a hydrostatic drive when used to power a combine rotor of the size and type found in the AGCO axial flow combines. Keep in mind that a hydrostatic drive will operate at roughly 30% less efficiency than a belt drive system (safe to assume a 30% increase in fuel consumption too). Horsepower on these AGCO axial flow combines is a very poor indicator of machine performance. The simplicity of these machines has compromised their ability to operate at a level competitive with other brands of the same class size (not that there is anything wrong with that when trying to be the price fighter of the bunch).

Silver_Shoes

I have ran the 9790 MF machine in 60 bu_acre, waist high beans running 6.5 mph 25 head. Combine wanted more, but it was getting to fast for the sickle to cut perfect. Yup I have ran them and they are a good harvesting machine. The 680B with the 35 ft head would roll out the bushels I am sure. They only limit I found was on slopes, same as any axial rotor w_o a leveler.

hv_user

In my area they Cat dealer could not sell one lexion and quit trying.If you have not been around a Massey rotor don't talk about it.

northernfarmer

greenthumb:what does it matter who's design the combine is....Massey bought it(never stole it) and Agco has taken it to another level....John Deere never developed their first combine they bought it from someone else...I do know that in our area a 2388 wont touch a Massey 9790. I don't know what you mean by "have to reconfigure the rotor" I've run Massey rotors for 16 years and have never had to do any changing once harvest started... I have done some fine tuning to the rotor before the harvest season...the Agco Rotary is easy to set, easy to run and by far the simplest machine on the market...

kid

Greenthumb, I was in the field with a 9790 03 version 330 HP., heavy wheat against a 9750 JD 325 HP. The capacity of the two machines was identical or the JD was slightly slower a few 10ths. of an hour difference. JD would gain on MF when unloading. MF quieter in the cab.

MF_9790

Hey, I have cut with our MF 9790(2004 model) against Case IH 2188, Gleaner R-62, John Deere 9600 and the Gleaner was the closest in comparsion. When cutting this past summer our 9790 cut as much as the Case and John Deere combined. I have ran our MF 9790 at 6 mph in green barley probably at least 100 bpa w_ 25 ft. head. MF 9790 I was just wondering what it would cost for a new Challenger or lexion of the same class. We were looking at trading our 04 model for a 06 model 9790 and we were just pricing around.