Combines Thought on 2001 Cat 480IJ

Cutter

Is it a 480 or a 480RIJ There is a difference. A restyled cab interior, the 480R has a 400hp 3196 (C12) as opposed to a 365hp 3176. Several other enhancements as well. Both will be a great machine, especially with a 30'platform and so much better with a 36' or 39' draper if you are going into wheat on the harvest run. The bigger the head the easier to keep the machine full, more efficient, greater productivity. At $100,000, you can go wrong with those hours as longs as its in good shape. Based upon the number of lexions that some of the harvesters have in their fleet, support must not be much of an issue.

weber

The machine is the 480 not the 480R. It is equipped with most options including yield and moisture. Also how much changing is necessary to go from grain to corn harvestingIJ

Cutter

No matter, either model will out perform anything but a larger lexion. Three grates through the rock trap is it for the most part. And they weigh only about 15lbs a piece, unlike other grates. You leave the main threshing concave alone and only change out the pre-concave segments. Raise the feeder house and open the rock trap and concave all the away and they are right in front of you. It might take you 15 mins. the first time, after that, 5 mins., 10 tops. lexion has a couple more add-ons to the concave if in really tough conditions but, between the wheat pre-concaves and the lever operated concave filler plates, you should do fine.

Hop_a_l

We have a 2001 485 (480 on tracks) and love it. It is simple to change crops, and out eats anything in the neighborhood. The one thing I would change is the steering column to the "R" style, much more comfortable. Takes a little to get use to but a great machine.

rotorhead

How do you change a steering column to the "R" style columnIJ

Hop_a_l

All I have looked at is the parts book but it looks like you just bolt the new style in.

rotorhead

Does anyone know of a lexion salvage yard for partsIJ I could use a new front feaderhouse drum and a few other misc partsIJ And a card reader for GPS