Combines combines

JR

I have had 2 of them for 21 years cutting rice and soybeans.Overall I have spent very little money on them,great machines.I am thinking about selling and going to 1 jd 9600, but hate to spend the money with the uncertainty of our new farm program.

Green_Envy

I heard that John Deere sold about 200 combines in Russia awhile back. Have you seen operated them or seen them. Just curious.

Silver_Bullet

It all depends on how much you have to harvest and how much you want to spend I had an R50 and it was a decent machine with good capacity. The narrow feeder house probably gave me the most problems. With some modifications to update to a floor similar to what the 52's have, that took care of most of my problems. I think if you could get into a 62...even an early model one, you would be happier. Their built much better and the machine is a lot more forgiving in tough or high yield conditions. I would also try to stay away from the N series and the R60's-70's...quite a few more moving parts on them compared to an R-2series. The R50 was built much like the 2 series so your ok there. The cab is nicer on the 2 series also.

dennis

thanks for the insight i live in the shenandoah valley and don't do much over 100 acres so that is why we were looking at the r50.what can you tell me about the r40 found one of them for not much money.

Silver_Bullet

You'll get along fine with either an R40 or 50. The two are basically the same machine. The R40 had a little less horsepower (R40-155hp, R50 190hp) and I know the 40 did not have the bin extension that the 50 had. The R50 had 200 bushel bin capacity and the R40, I believe, had around 150-160. Not a significant difference for what your wanting to do. I would say it would just come down to the condition of the machine. Generally, you get what you pay for.

Trit

R40, if in good shape, will be a very nice machine for you. We do a little under 200 acres. 150 bushels is a FUll bin, usually a little less than that. Fabricate some sideboards, turn up the pump and change the 4 to a 5 and you got yourself a 50. Plays w_ 15 ft flex and 436 Hugger. Seems more suited for a 20 ft and 6 row. That's what the previous owner had on it. Would be nice to have those sizes, but I've got a few narrow clearances and don't want to mess with a head hauler. Have a good one.