Tractors Feb. 7: On Indy, a great Super Bowl and Rubens

aginfo

Question: All right Cavin, back to work on racing-related stories! Seriously, how was your Super Bowl experience? Any good tidbits that you picked up while covering the Giants? Welcome back and it?s about time to go racing! (Doug, Indianapolis)

Answer: Yes, I?m ready to get back to motor sports, although covering the Giants was a terrific experience. A few things to share. Eli is as comfortable in his skin as any athlete I?ve been around. I don?t think he cares one bit that he has more Super Bowls than Peyton, and he?s appreciative of everything his family has done for him. He genuinely seems like a team guy. Victor Cruz?s story from the tough streets of Paterson, N.J., to national sensation is a terrific story, and I think he?s an even better young man. Certainly one you can root for. In the last couple of days, I came across Henry Hynoski, a young fullback out of Pennsylvania. Hyno, as he?s known, is a little bowling ball with a great personality. He comes from the coal region south of Allentown, and I enjoyed seeing him catch a key first-down pass and pound a couple of Patriots with crushing blocks. Again, someone people can root for. Obviously, the week in Indianapolis was something I?ll never forget. It reminded me of Butler?s run to the Final Four here in 2010. Great community support, and I think we all were incredibly proud of our city and the effort of so many volunteers. As for the game, we sat on the first row of the upper deck in the corner, probably my favorite place to sit for games. It?s a great view of the field. Now, back to racing.

Question: There were so many great things about the Indy Super Bowl, but my favorite had to be having Jimmy Fallon do his show from Indy. He gave the city so many compliments and huge national exposure having his show from the Hilbert Circle Theatre that I can?t help but think he would be a huge ambassador for the Indy 500 as the pace car driver. (Rich, Fishers, Ind.)

Answer: Not a bad idea. I didn?t see any of his shows, but he certainly sent the love. Unlike some others who have driven the pace car, I think he has the stage and the vibe to really promote the event. Good idea.

Question: I?ve heard it said before that for Indianapolis the Indy 500 is like hosting the Super Bowl every year. Now that you?ve experienced both, do you think the comparison stands up? (Brian, Jerome, Idaho)

Answer: I think hosting the Indianapolis 500 is like hosting most Super Bowls, but this Super Bowl had as much energy and community support than I think any Super Bowl can possibly have. The utilization of the downtown area, particularly Georgia Street, was something we?ll see again for big events. But the biggest difference is the location of the venue. Being downtown, Lucas Oil brought the event to a single location. IMS is too far away from downtown to create that same scenario.

Question: I probably looked in the wrong area, but is there any place on indystar.com or elsewhere with a picture gallery of the all of the Indy Cars in NFL livery? (Kurt, Carmel, Ind.)

More at http://blogs.indystar.com/racingexpert/2012/02/07/feb-7-on-indy-a-great-super-bowl-and-rubens/