Combines Air reel

Irv

We added an air reel a few years ago, as we were looking at some very short beans. Played with it to get it set right, and it seemed to work very well. Just to see how much difference it was making, I shut the air off, and nearly slugged the combine. It works wonders on feeding short beans, as well as reducing loss at the header. As others have said, positioning is critical. The air should hit the cutterbar just behind the sections, when the head is on the ground. We wouldn't cut without one now.

unit_3

They make a funny chunging sound which is a reel bat passing in front of the air stream. You will hear it all day and maybe in your sleep. They have slip clutches that will fail you so have some extra clutch diskes on hand or your parts man will give you the old line,"No, we don't have them. You are the first one to ever have that problem". AND CHECK THAT THE DRAIN PlUG IS IN TIGHT ON THE GEARBOX. We had a 530 that needed the reel to be low and to the rear. Now with the air on the 8030, the real is high and ahead and slowed way down. Aim the air at the cutter bar and loose beans blow right in. With the smaller flighting on the 500, I thing you would like the air. You can even start earlier in the morning with it. This will be our second year with it and with the bugs out of it and knowing more about them, 2004 should be more fun.

Unit_2

I have a Crary Air Finger Reel. There is nothing better for cutting short soybeans. In tall beans they help keep the beans feeding in. They are a little pricey but worth every penny.

Unit_2

What makes you say that farmertoneyIJ I think that is the first negative comment I've heard on here about an air real of any kind.

Forever_Red

We have been cutting with two 30' Crary Finger Air Reels for four yrs, I can't imagine cutting without them. They make the 1020 header a performance cutting unit, just turn it off and you'll see why. Someone on the Gleaner page said he thought they should be standard equipment, if you didn't want one there would be a deduction in the price. I agree. They are the closest you can get to a JD row crop hd for a positive and steady flow into the feeder house (had one on an IH 80 series rotor for 21 yrs). Pricey newIJ, yes. Extra powerIJ,yes. The easiest way to get into one is find a good used hd. with an air unit and after a couple of seasons put the air reel on a new hd. I would encourage you to get one. My $.02 worth.

farmert

we had two Air heads sent them both back. my 36 footer was a joke I don't even want to go into it. most of the heads sold today are just fine without one large augers and full fingers make alot of difference. we don't raise little short beans. and our stems are green and ropey, blowing a little air doesn't make much difference. The last two years a friend of mine had one. his dad loves it but the son says all it does is put dirt in the beans. I know in a lot of places every one has them. but not around here.

Unit_2

I agree with you farmertony that there are farmers that don't have a great need for an air reel and I also agree that if not run and set properly they can blow a lot of dirt into the beans, but has a custom harvester most years I cut everything from tall irr. ropey green stem beans to short droughty beans and if run and set properly the air finger reel is effective in both kinds. I hope you and yours have a happy Thanksgiving. I know I have a lot to be thankful for this year. K.A.

FR

Would not buy a head with out it we run 2 with and 1 with out and there is a big difference you will not be sorry.

red_rocket_2366

I have keho airreel it of corse has the pipe out front would never buy one again.The only one to get is the built in crary air finger reel.Will have one on my 25' head for next season.