World Pork Expo

aginfo

Starts Wednesday in Iowa
World Pork Expo, the world?s largest pork-specific trade show takes place this week at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines.

Visit the Farms.com, PigCHAMP and AgCareers.com team at our booth

The June 6-8 event is presented by the National Pork Producers Council.

World Pork Expo brings in some 20,000 pork producers and allied industry professionals for three days dedicated to industry innovation.

Along with browsing the more than 450 trade show exhibits, attendees can take part in seminars covering a wide range of pork industry topics including animal well-being, business and environmental management, production efficiencies and more.

Here is a listing of some of the events planned during World Pork Expo. More details can be found atworldpork.org.

Seminars. Attendees can hear about the latest management information and industry insights at the Pork Academy. Additional business seminars will be offered on Wednesday and Thursday.

Junior Show. The National Junior Swine Show, which attracts youth exhibitors throughout the country, will take place each day of the Expo.

Trade Show. Every day, more than 450 commercial exhibitors will share a wide array of products and services, making this the world?s largest pork-specific trade show.

MusicFest. Located on the Grand Concourse, MusicFest is the social highlight of World Pork Expo. From 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. on Thursday, Expo attendees can enjoy free roasted pork and refreshments while listening to music performed by live bands.

Clay Target Championship. The World Pork Open five-person shoot-out, held on Thursday, has become a ?must? for many attendees.

frank

People from 38 countries will attend World Pork Expo

DES MOINES, Iowa, ? Nearly 20,000 pork producers and industry experts from throughout the world will be at the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines, Iowa, for the world?s largest pork-specific trade show June 6-8. Brought to you by the National Pork Producers Council (NPPC),World Pork Expo offers the latest information about pork marketing and management, legislative updates, animal health, environmental topics, and other topics affecting pork production.

?Ever since I first attended World Pork Expo 25 years ago, each June I look forward to rubbing shoulders with the very best pork producers and industry leaders,? says R.C. Hunt, NPPC president, Wilson, N.C. ?They come from throughout the world to provide research updates and share experiences from their own operations ? all in a fun, family-friendly environment that?s ideal for your entire team of employees.?

Attendees can experience all this and more at the annual Expo. From the more than 400 commercial exhibits to the business seminars and a new product tour, there?s plenty for busy pork producers, their employees and families to learn and do.

?The best advice I can share regarding World Pork Expo is to carve out more than just one day to take it all in,? says Hunt. ?There?s so much to see ? the world?s largest pork-specific trade show, the Junior National show, GRAMMY-nominated musical groups performing live at MusicFest and excellent seminars. Your family and employees will thoroughly enjoy every minute as they mingle with top pork producers from throughout the world.?

People from 38 countries have registered to attend World Pork Expo. While online registration has closed, attendees still can register at the gate. The $15-per-person admission price enables an individual to attend the Expo Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Proceeds from World Pork Expo are used to develop and defend export markets, fight for reasonable legislation and regulation, and inform and educate legislators.

For the first time, Expo attendees can use a free mobile app for instant access to the latest schedule, a map to navigate the show and a list of exhibitors. The app enables attendees to plan their day by selecting business seminars and special events to place on their personalized calendars, and provides a place for users to take notes. To download the app, search for ?World Pork? in the Apple Store, Android Market or Blackberry?s App World, or connect to an online dashboard at http://m.core-apps.com/wpx2012.

More at http://www.farms.com/news/people-from-38-countries-will-attend-world-pork-expo-52763.aspx

aginfo

Stroll the Expo

The World Pork Expo's the place to be this week for anyone involved in the hog industry around the globe. Producers, industry experts and hog business company representatives flooded the Iowa State Fairgrounds in Des Moines, Iowa, for the annual event that this year includes people from 38 countries.

Click on this link to go for a stroll http://www.agriculture.com/livestock/hogs/stroll-expo_283-sl24542

aginfo

Pork Expo Farm Bill Update

Pork producers know what they want in a 2012 Farm Bill, they?re just not sure if and when it will happen.

Former National Pork Producers Council president Sam Carney of Iowa, co-chair of the organization?s farm bill policy task force, gave an update on the legislation, which happened at almost the very moment the Senate voted to advance the bill to the floor. ?Best case scenario is that Senators Stabenow and Roberts are able to hold off controversial amendments and the farm bill passes by the end of next week,? he said. However, he added that it is ?unlikely? both houses will pass a bill and get it signed by the president before the current bill expires on September 30.

Carney says the Senate version of the bill includes several issues important to pork producers. ?Catastrophic event insurance program study ? very important to us,? he said. Also important to NPPC are reforming the beginning farmer and rancher program to allow better access to capitol, reduction in the CRP to address feed availability concerns, increasing swine research funding and maintaining funding for foreign market development and access programs.

More at http://agwired.com/2012/06/12/pork-expo-farm-bill-update/

aginfo

R. C. Hunt - World Pork Expo (2012)

[video=youtube;1o-dnmlX3_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1o-dnmlX3_Q[/video]

frank

The roller coaster ride continues in the hog industry

Siemens Says - The roller coaster ride that hog farmers, particularly in Canada, and to a lesser extent in the United States are on, isn?t for the faint at heart, and shouldn?t be required for anyone alive. And let?s just say that is an understatement to say the least. Only months ago, early in the New Year, I wrote about how 2012 might not be a banner year, but could be if the demand kept increasing and feed prices didn?t rise too much. Then a month ago, maybe even sooner I wrote about how demand was slipping, and feed prices kept climbing, for some farmers hammering the last nail into the coffin, shutting down the lid tight, forcing them to shut down their hog business, too.

Now, Bruce Cochrane of Farmscape.ca reports from the World Pork Expo in |Des Moines, Iowz how the ceo National Pork Producers Council in the U.S. is confident the future for North American pork production remains bright.

At the The World Pork Expo, expected to attract nearly 20 thousand pork producers from 38 nations, NPPC ceo Neil Dierks says all segments of the industry from genetic suppliers, to packers and processors, to retailers and exporters take part in various activities including the trade show and meetings to discuss the issues facing the hog industry world-wide,

?I?m very optimistic about the pork industry in the U.S. and North American for that matter,? says Dirks. ?I think there?s tremendous opportunities. As we take a look at the population growth in the world, we have a situation where it?s not a question of whether people will increase the amount of meat they eat.?

He says it is the combination of more people in the world by 2050 who will consume more protein, that has him looking to a very bright future for the pork industry.
Genesus Genetics president Jim Long and pork commentator adds some numbers saying the lean hog futures got a good bounce in the early part of June, jumping $15 plus per hog. This is certainly going in the right direction.
Long says the free fall of corn has enhanced the hog profit margin potential
?It doesn?t take a rocket scientist to realize higher hog prices and lower feed costs are a panacea for an industry that two weeks ago was looking at negative margins for most of the rest of 2012,? he points out. ?The combined swing in July hogs and corn is about $23 per head to the better.?
He expects hog weights and total head marketed will decline seasonally over the coming weeks and global demand for U.S. pork will stay strong as we observe the high price points of hogs in importing countries.
?I believe there is further upside to lean hog and cash prices over the coming weeks,? he says.
I know we don?t have much sympathy for the packers but let me says, I do have some feelings, especially for the HyLife processing plant at Neepawa. My wife Judith and I toured that plant some time ago, coming away with a box of goodies that I sampled this past weekend, awesome pork chops and ribs. Our hog farmers and processors do a real good job of providing us and many people around the world with a quality and reasonably-priced product and staple food.
However, Long says packers are not having a good time as their margins are negative.
He expects packers will continue to bid and work for next to nothing over the coming weeks as they look to maintain market share, fill retail and export orders and most of all act like farmers (when renting land) chasing fewer hogs.

More at http://www.siemenssays.com/blog/7815.html

chattymatty

World's Largest Pork Burger

[video=youtube;VanQpMJfKDs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VanQpMJfKDs[/video]