Tweet Responsibly Or You Hurt Us All

frank

Twitter really is an amazing tool. The ability to share information and have conversations with people around the world is one of my favourite parts. But, like everything, there is always a down side. It is a downside across all social media networks that people can say things that aren?t true and can easily mix up fact from fiction. Case in point was a tweet from the Organic Council of Ontario, actually the same tweet twice in one afternoon.

Whether it was a good idea or not, I posted a reply to that tweet as my mind steamed with anger. ?Thanks @orgcouncil. I was having a good day until your last tweet (extremely offensive) now I?m angry. This is exactly what is wrong with ag.? I?ve now waited a few days to cool off, and I?d like to break down both the tweet from the Organic Council, and my response.

First of all, know that I am all for organic. We do not produce organic foods on our farm, but I think those that do are tremendously dedicated to serving their consumers, as am I. Organic food serves an important market, but not the only market.

The quote that was tweeted comes from the movie Food, Inc., a movie that touches on some real issues with the food system, at the same time as building up some misconceptions about agriculture. While a great sound bite for anyone trying to sell movie passes, it is far from responsible. I read it as saying that anything not organic will give you cancer. Those with family members & friends that have been touched with cancer and those that produce non-organic food should all be tremendously offended.

Read more at http://www.realagriculture.com/2012/06/tweet-responsibly-or-you-hurt-us-all/

henry

AgNerds Ep 14 ? Twitter VS Armyworm

t's always a good thing when you see social media being used in a helpful and constructive way. It's not that a picture of a bacon sundae isn't important to share with the world, it's just that there may be a slightly more beneficial way to utilize the camera on your mobile phone. Take for instance the recent infestation of armyworms around parts of Ontario. In this case, Twitter proved to be a very valuable tool. Not only were farmers able to alert their neighbours about the presence of armyworms in their fields, they were also able to share information about how to identify them, when to spray them and what to spray them with.

In this episode of AgNerds, Shaun and Pete discuss how specifically Twitter was used to help put the boot to the armyworm and how producers can use search within Twitter to help them find information that can benefit them in similar situations.

To see the video http://www.realagriculture.com/2012/06/agnerds-ep-14-twitter-vs-armyworm/