Farming: The next generation

chattymatty

WATERLOO --- At 34 and 33, respectively, Luke and Linsey Schuldt aren't exactly spring chickens. But when it comes to farming, the couple just hatched.

They're young and inexperienced compared to most Iowa producers. Like newborns, the Schuldts rely on others for help and learn by doing.

"A lot of work with crops and livestock is trial and error," said Luke Schuldt, whose been farming for seven years. "We're trying. Thankfully, we have great neighbors to reach out to.

"I absolutely love it. I love the cattle in the creek and watching crops grow," he continued. "I love everything about the farm life."

What the young farmers lack in expertise and resources, they make up for in passion. And that, agriculture experts say, is a big reason why the troubling trend of farm consolidation and aging farmers appears to be slowing and possibly reversing.

And a robust farm economy certainly doesn't hurt.

The average age of an Iowa farmer is 56, according to the 2007 Census of Agriculture. It has increased 18 percent in 20 years.

During the same time period, the number of farms statewide dwindled by more than 23 percent. There were 121,339 farms in 1978 and 92,856 in 2007, government data indicate.

The national trends are similar.

John Whitacker, executive director of the Iowa Farm Service Agency, summed up his concern using one word: stability.

"Age is always a social concern for any industry ... just having the producers ready," he said.

Raising enough food to feed the world's burgeoning population is a concern. Plus, rural communities suffer as farm numbers decrease.

There is less money to support businesses in small towns and fewer children in classrooms. Towns that used to have grocery stores have none. School mergers are common.

Finding ways to stabilize farm numbers and encourage a new generation of producers is a priority, officials say.

There are indications it is happening:

Promising aging and consolidation statistics.

Beginning farmer loans are up.

Enrollment in high school and college ag programs have increased statewide.

Farm savings accounts and mentor programs are popular.

Surveys indicate young people are interested in production agriculture again.

"This tells me people believe in agriculture and want to continue family traditions," Whitacker said.

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/387bed72-cc4c-5f2d-accd-70e4e89673dd.html#ixzz1y9udbMDI