Canada?s first large restaurant-urban farm sprouting in Windsor

notafarmer

A desolate block of University Avenue that once housed Canada?s first electric trolley warehouse will soon create history again ? Canada?s first large restaurant-urban farm.

Windsor businessmen Van Niforos and George Sofos intend to turn a former industrial building in the 1100 block of University Avenue into a second Penalty Box, the popular family restaurant at Tecumseh and Walker roads.

?I?m so excited I haven?t got to the nervous part yet,? Niforos said Tuesday night at an open house introducing the concept to neighbours. ?It?s a huge project but I think the neighbourhood will be proud of it.?

Niforos and Sofos intend to open the 300-seat Penalty Box and Delightful Farm in the spring. Delightful Farm will start as a greenhouse operation on the site, eventually producing 1,400 pounds of tomatoes a week, among other produce, in organic soil. The fresh fare will show up in Penalty Box dishes.

?The six months of the year we can get local produce is great, but it?s the other six months that?s the problem,? said Niforos, who started the Penalty Box 20 years ago. ?So I decided to grow my own.?

More at http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2012/1...e-restaurant-urban-farm-sprouting-in-windsor/