Combines Gordon Cover Plates

M__Gorden

Using keystock grates should have no noticeable effect on white caps. Using keystock grates will reduce rotor loss but will increase the loading of the chaffer. Often rotor loss is the result of excessive returns caused by too tight of lower sieve settings. White caps are the result of insufficient threshing. Common causes of threshing problems are tough wheat varieties, worn out concaves, leaks in the rotor cage, improper settings, specialty rotors. If you think you have your machine set properly, my first suggestion is to temporarily run the machine with the return elevator door open. If you find that this stops the rotor loss then your problem is excessive returns. If you have more grain coming out of the return door than you can accept in the field, you have excessive returns.

parksy

Have to agree with Marvin's comments but we run a 2366 with 30' head and if returns aren't your problem which ours was not we installed only 1 key stock grate at the most rear position. It seems to work just fine for us.Saves straw which we need and doesn't seem to overload the sieves.

obsltd

We use one cover plate on a 88, and one or two keystock grates. If and we do have some loss it will be from the rotor.

Prussman_Farms

I don't think running to much return is the problem for my rotor loss, I just feel like I have lost some capacity with the cover plates and thought I would try the keystocks in this machine. I like the threshing job the machine does with the cover plates and I plan on running them this year. What grate combination would you try first or would you try a full set of the keystocks grates

M__Gorden

Which concaves did you use the last time you had rotor loss with the covers installedIJ How have you determined that you are not running with excessive returnsIJ Did you try running with the return door openIJ

Prussman_Farms

I use the large wire concaves with 3 cover plates installed. I have run the return door open before and there was little return, and also the tailings monitor set on the sensitive postion will tell you if you are running to much return. I have also noticed in the past that the n2 and n4 light on the grain loss monitor will go wild when running to much return. So I feel very confident that returns are not a problem in my rotor loss. I just thought maybe I would try something different this year.

M__Gorden

The next consideration is your vane setting. Because white caps are a concern for you, I suggest running all of your transport vanes in the slowest position. This will increase threshing pressure as well as separation. You can also remove the cross channels on your slotted grates. I have for several years run 3 keystock separator grates in wheat. This setup loads the chaffer heavily. If you choose to use 3 keystock grates, consider an air foil chaffer when harvesting wheat. In my opinion the 1 1_8 inch chaffer does not handle a large volume of MOG very well.

Prussman_Farms

I have removed the cross channels it seemed to help. White caps are not a problem with the cover plates I just thought that it may be a problem with the keystocks. I sure don't want the chaffer overloading, so maybe I will stick with the slotted grates, or try one slotted grate at the back like mentioned above and see what happens.

dave_morgan

I think cover plates would help you do that, but I never tryed it...Reason I responded is it doesn't look like anyone else is...We have found straw hard to keep whole lengths -in a rotor machine - when the straw is dry...Tough straw will stay whole length much better, dry straw is easily damaged even with cylinder machines as we have found trying to provide high quality straw for landscape use...The company that stitches the straw to matting material won't knowingly buy straw from an owner of a rotary machine 'here'...Email works if you need further, I will try to find your additional information that you need...IH does have a bulletin on saving higher quality straw.

Russ

Thanks Dave, My computer doesnt work with that type of email through microsoft. I would like to know what Case has to say. I also posted above this thread as combining wheat, saving straw. My email adress is jenbjerm@centurytel.net if you have something you could forward from Case it would be appreciated.