Combines Tailings

Unit_2

Brodale, I've never cut anything close to 100 bpa wheat so I may be way off base on this one, but I think you are running your rotor way to fast and over threshing everything and thus overloading the shoe. It is a rare day that I run the rotor over 800 on my 2388s. Have you tried slowing the rodor down to at least 860 to 900IJ The other thing is it actually over loading the return or is it just the monitor telling you that it is overloading it. Do you have the monitor set on the most sensitive setting or the least sensitive. There are three setting on the monitor and then there is a forth setting that turns off the alarm in the least sensitive setting.

Farm_Kid2

The "Meter Position" knob basically sets the sensitivity. If you set it on a high value, it will make the needle go to the right, even if the loss is small. In 100 bushel wheat I would think that running the needle in the green at a meter postion of "5" would be a lofty goal. On the other hand, we try not to ever set the meter position below "4". I suspect you are over-threshing, but that is how I prefer to run the machine also. My general plan to to grind everything up and blow all the MOG out the back with lots of even air flow.

Greedy_Guts

We cut thick crops in England and run 2 large wire concaves with Gorden Bars. I think you have your concave too tight and rotor too fast. I would generally run the rotor around 950-1000 depending on losses. The concave I usually run at number 3, try opening it one number at a time. This I think will cut your returns as some other people have already mentioned, you could well be overthreshing. Hope this helps.

larryNCKS

Wrong monitor, Farm Kid. Brodale, I think there's a computer menu that gives these settings, but it's been so long since I've set mine that I don't remember how. The proceedure is described in the operator's manual.

Farm_Kid2

larry, Yes, I see what you mean. I don't think we have a setting for the tailings monitor.

Old_Pokey

How many cover plates are you runningIJ If you blank off the front concave and slow the rotor, you'll get the same thresh but with fewer fines. Sometimes cutting lower is a way to get by. Has the elevator actually plugged yetIJ You might check to see if the restriction is at the lower or upper end of the elevator. Sometimes the flighting on the auger that pushes the tailing into the rotor will get worn and cause a build up where the material leaves the paddles. That'll load the drive chain a little more than usual. Just a thought anyway.

Farm_Kid2

Have you covered the top of the tailings return tubeIJ You have to take the shield off the right side of the machine. Right before the tailings go into the rotor the top of the auger tube is cut out. That will let some tailings skip the rotor and go straight back to the chaffer. We cover that hole up with a piece of tin and a large hose clamp.

ripped

Hey Brodale, How is that draper head working for youIJ I stayed with a 1020 25' flex. I'm like you set the rotor to 1050 rpm and drive but I found that running it at 800-850 during the afternoon does a good job with no tailing showing on the monitor. I'm having more trouble with rotor loss than I had with the 2166. It might be a learning curve for me with this '88.

ripped

Yes, that's me! The yields are anywhere from the low 80's to 110 bushels to the acre with green straw. I've inserted a keystock grate to help with rotor loss and it seems to help a little but I was counting on a little more capacity with the 2388 and an afx rotor. I might have my expectations too high. What kind of ground speed can you get with 100 bushel wheat and 50% of straw going through the combineIJ I was hoping for 3.5-4mph but that seems to be a little high. I was told to stay away from the draper head in beans cause it will not cut as short as the 1020. I'm hoping that you can prove that wrong, so please keep me informed!! Thanks.