Combines 2188

larryNCKS

In Reply to: Re: 2188 posted by Prussman Farms on March 05, 2003 at 11:09:43: The old style field tracker is like this. It has plastic bearings in both upper corners that it pivots on. If these go bad it chews up the steel in a hurry.

crucut

regarding the hydraulic reverser, try mounting another battery on the front axle and hooking it up to the reverser motor. this has worked well when people have complained about the lack of power at night. try it first, it'll be cheaper than putting the new kit on.

iaremec

new ones do the same thing with heavy heads on them.larry did you ever read your post under headers from last oct. or did you figure your problem out on your 2188. subject was header lower speed.

Farm_Kid2

That sounds like a pretty stripped down combine and with 3000 hours, everything depends on the maintenance. With poor maintenance, I would say 25K and you plan on putting 20K in it to get a good solid machine. If it has been well cared for and is just about ready to go to the field, maybe 45KIJ

dg

I stopped my 1660 by replacing the little o-ring at the end of the solonoid (Both)

Farm_Kid2

I like the 2188 a little better than the 9610. It has less weight on the rear tires which helps in mud. I also think you can get your losses lower out the back. If you want to run a 12 row corn head, the 9610 might be the way to go. If you get an early 1996 2188, you won't have the emission engine or the wastegate, which I prefer. The '97 has the heavier axle for duals, but '96's with duals were updated. There is also an update to move the cab air cleaner to the right side of cab. Most of the 2188 lemons I've heard of have been 95 models. Might steer clear of those.

farmertim

Hey Farm Kid, Do you know how to get to the stewart steel siteIJ TIA Tim

Winst

Based upon my experience with my `1991 1680 (Cummins engine, long shoe) I definitely would go with the JD. The Case is not meant for long term use. They are quite lightly built and get very, very expensive when they get a few hours on them.