Combines 1688 settings

Unit_2

Crash, Make sure the machine as the small wire concaves and slatted grates, then I'ld start with rotor speed at 850, rotor clearance at 2. Set the fan speed at 1050, the chaffer at about 1_2 inch and the sieve at about a 1_4. The after market products very as much as the guys running them, but I get along just fine with basic Case for the conditions I cut in. K.A.

Crash

Unit 2, Do these settings vary much when you switch to barley. I'm located in central MT.

Unit_2

Crash,I haven't cut much barley for several years,but I'ld slow the rotor down some, maybe 75 rpm, and open the sieve just a tad, and go from there. Hey crash how are you on moisture this year. Are you going to get the spring wheat and barley up in good shapeIJ K.A.

Crash

Unit 2, the moisture is kind of on the slim side this year. We didn't get much snow this winter, but we're getting a little bit this spring. I'm going to be cutting mostly on irrigated barley, so the moisture problem shouldn't have that much of an effect because the irrigation water comes from the mountains. There seems to be quite a bit of snowpack up there. I'm not to sure on the dryland spring wheat. Everybody is trying to get in the field right now, but we've had a couple showers every couple days to slow it up. The winter wheat should do ok. I guess we'll see what happens.

Farm_Kid2

Cracked wheat is usually caused by high rotor speed. I would suggest slowing the rotor down until the amount of crack is acceptable, then tightening the concaves if you are getting white caps at that speed. I'm not sure what to tell you on loss over the chaffer. I guess backing down the air is about all you can doIJ The root cause of your problems could be that the new concaves and bars are over-threshing the straw and the excess ground-up straw is keeping the wheat from falling through the chaffer. It that's the case, slower rotor speed and wider concave setting might help a lot. Good luck, Mike

hooter

Cracked grain usually means high rotor speed. An old operator told me a rhyme many years ago. goes like this -"concave thrashes, rotor speed smashes". Grain loss could be due to ratio of wind to seive_ chaffer opening, or just plain smashing the straw and overloading chaffer.

Dakotaboy

Amen on the overthrashing. I have a 1660 currently. I used to have an 860 MF . One year , mid-season, I changed Concave plus Cylinder bars. I threw over terribly, didn't matter what I did with wind_etc....it just puked grain out the rear ....I was frustrated for quite a few days (incidently I was doing some custom cutting to make it worse) Finally someone told me I'm overthrasing. I opened the concave WAY open compared to where I used to run it and dropped cylinder speed from around 900 down to closer to 800.....I quit throwing over but had a few white caps for a little while.....but as the new thrasing bars_concave "wore in" I gradually closed the concave and the white caps went away once things shined up.....hope that helps.

Farm_Kid2

Dakotaboy, I think what you describe is a fundamental limitation of the rotary design: When the grain is difficult to thresh, a lot of the straw gets damaged in the process. The JD CTS or Cat type machine is probably the better way to go for rice and wheat, but the simplicity of the axial flow might be a better compromise for corn and miloIJ We have a 2188 set up to thresh aggressively, and it actually does best in wheat at night when the straw gets so tough that the cutter bar won't hardly cut it off. The amount of damaged straw goes way down and the loss out the back drops to nearly zero.