Combines Self leveling Shoe air loss

cycl

Farm Kid2- At the rear side to side air measured at just above the loss sensor impact plate wind speeds were right around 37 mph. And as guessed they increads as you moved farther forward it increased to around 40. We had the machine set for corn and the pre sieve pretty much closed so as you went past the blast of air coming up behind the pre sieve the air pretty much dies. It is pretty easy to move air blasts on these machines. I have seen guys add air dams(1 1_2 tall steel strips) to the bottom sieves to create a final blast of air over the rear of the chaffer. Used primarly in wet corn. At any rate these machines do set different than the 2388's but the same principals are still there.

Old_Pokey

Just curious, when performing these tests, how does one go about simulating a loaded chaffer and sieveIJ Or the effect the foward motion of the machine would have on the fan itakeIJ Also, I've been wondering about the effect the bulk mass coming off the beater and exiting right behind the chaffer would have on reducing the ability for the air charge to exit. Or the speed at which the bulk mass exits, would it have any effect on the air chargeIJ Do you have any info that might help me out on thatIJ Or do you know where I might find any info on itIJ Thanks.

CORNKING

Ok to get them kind of bushels per hr you need machine set on full power and yes it is from yeild moniter and yes that is correct we have scales on cart also and you need 200+ bu of 16% corn on flat ground no hills and a large corn head no chopping head and most important unload semis in less then 5 minutes to keep them coming and have 2nd 8010 with smaller head just opening feild for the large head 8010.And no we can not keep that pace up all day long somthing all ways happens that make you stop for somthing. My point was not how many bushels we can harvest it was about the air flow on the seives with that much corn going across, so far I dont feel we need a air seal kit on the 8010s. I give the guy credit for making somthing for the bumble bees they have issues with there air flow but that is probably why I have heard there are going with the 8010s fan.

magnum_man

Power rise or power boost it does not seem to make much difference. 12 row corn head. I believe an ag leader yield monitor measures bu. per hour in dry bushels per hour. So wet bushels per hour would be a little higher. Can you set an Ag leader to get wet bushels per hourIJ Is The yield monitor from factory measuring wet bushels per hourIJ Are these 5000 bu per hour readings just spikes. Can you get it to stay at 5000 bu. per hour from one bin full to the nextIJ What concaves and how many spike bars and straight bars are in these 5000 bushel per hour combinesIJ

cornsheller

Old Pokey, you have the right questions. All of the things you mentioned impact air. I can tell you that on the NH there is more air flow on the outer edges of the sieve (left side and right side vs. the center)but when you do a kill stall the pattern is even from left to right. Another thing that happens once you seal up the shoe is that you get 1_3 to 1_2 of the upper sieve clean with a kill stall. That happens in spite of the fact that when we put in the seal kit we adjust the horizontal louvers to direct more air to the rear of the shoe than the factory setting. Without the seal kit the chaffer isn't nearly as clean at the front when doing a kill stall.

Old_Pokey

Performing a kill stall_quick kill, is a very valuable tool. I use it every year. Personally I have'nt yet figured out the purpose of going to a high speed fan. I think often times the fans air inlet is overlooked by the engineers. I think with the increase in throughput volume on these new machines, the air inlet and distribution system needs to be made a larger priority.

Farm_Kid2

cyclonedave, Thanks for the info. 37 mph in the back and 40 mph in the front seems pretty even to me. I would think that would do a nice job of keeping the wheat chaff suspended. I guess that assumes the wheat settings yielded the same results as the corn settings. It has been my observation that the variation in wind speed changes with fan speed. I can't see how the air could possibly stay even over a wide range of fan speeds, unless some diverters are also adjustedIJ