Combines oil consumption

Nevada

CaseIH reps also stated that since they increased the horsepower on these cummings they tend to be using more oil.

SDman

I will try to answer this as best I can and I am sure it will not really be an answer, it will be just my opinion so you take it for what it is worth. It does seem like the higher the HP on the 8.3l engines, the more oil they can consume, but also, since these engines have had to make emissions(which, on combines started in 1996),they have also used noticeably more oil. Since emissions, the oil in these engines has to work harder under poorer conditions. The timimg in these engines is retarded from old engines, causing internal temps. to rise and also more particulates that used to go out the exhaust are now being held in suspension in the oil. Couple all of this with longer drain intervals and these engines have gotten a reputation for using oil. That does seem like high oil consumption, but if you go by Case's oil consumption figures, it is probably acceptable (Case figures oil consumption as a % of oil consumed versus fuel consumed). As I said, you may not like my answer, but here it is.

dett2

case has had some complaints about oil cunsumption,they have been working with valve seals on emissions certified engines.i recently installed a new set of seals on a customers 2166 with around 500 hrs on it that had been using oil since new and oil cunsumption has been cut dramaticly.

mick

I had the same experience with 1680 that I bought new in 1990. After complaining about it for 3 years I just finally resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to carry oil at all times. The interesting thing was that my best friend ran the same year combine with same set up side by side with me and used virtually no oil. I honestly don't think you can expect an answer from Case, because they don't know why and if they do they aren't telling because it would have cost to much to resolve the problem. I don't know of anyone who had the same problem with the 466 engine.