Combines Cummins injection pump oil leaks

SDman

Gman, this is something that has happened numerous times to injection pumps here. The pump in question is the MW series Robert Bosch injection pump used on 1680s and 7140s(smaller Cummins engines use a Robert Bosch A series pumps while bigger ones use a Nippondenso pump or the Bosch P7100 Series pumps). Either the O-ring gets brittle or the "plate" on the bottom of the pump cracks. Either way, you lose a lOT of oil in a short amount of time. Our local injection pump supplier (DK Diesel of Watertown, SD) sells a "repair kit" for these pumps that includes the plate, the O-ring, and 3 new clamps that use the existing bolts to hold the plate in place. If I remember right, the whole kit costs a whopping $20 or so, cheap compared to losing an engine. Yes, we lost an engine here in a 1680 about a week ago because of this plate leaking oil. This has also happened to me on late model 5488 IH tractors and early 1680s with the Navistar or IH engine. They both used this MW pump as well.

Farmer_Ed

Just concerned about my Cummins. I have a early Cummins (89) 1660. Should I check into this, becuase I thought they used the same engines on these, just turned up or used a bigger fuel pump on the 80 series. let me know.

SDman

Ed, do not worry about your 1660. The 1660 Cummins engine used a series "A" Robert Bosch injection pump, while the 1680s used a model "MW" Robert Bosch injection pump that has the bottom plate that has given problems like I described in the 1st post. The 1680 engine used a different pump, had an aftercooler and other changes from a 1660 engine to deal with the extra horsepower.

lrue

I think my 1680 just started this. Can I put this new cover and gasket on without taking injector pump off motor. Also if my dealer doesn't have update kit, where can I get one. THANKS!!

SDman

You aure can! Installation is very easy, just a matter of unbolting the old plate (keep your old bolts, you'll need them),put the o-ring on the new plate, hold it in place, put the bolts through the support plates, and tighten them. I'm not sure if you can get this through your Case-IH dealer, we get ours from our pump shop supplier. If I remember right, the kit cost $12-16, not very expensive. If you have trouble finding the plate, let me know.

lrue

Thanks for the info. I took a mirror to see where the plate is. My Case-IH dealer doesn't have any parts for the Injector Pump, but I called the Pump shop in Devils lake ND and they knew about it. Can get the parts there for about the price you are talking. Kind of funny, I read your warning on this prior to harvest and it showed up on the last day of harvest. Was kind of nice to know where to look for the leak. Thanks again.