Combines Combine Fires

Peana

Have 1982 N6 - same experience as camshaft Dust collects on exhaust manifold and smoulders. I also carry small water sprayer but also blow engine and engine compartment out with compressed air daily and have found that the frequency has dropped to almost nil.

beentherepluggedthat

Theres something in sunflower lint that is exprememly combustable. Saw it in colorado 5 years ago on harvest. The lints start piling up and as soon as they get hot enough they ignite. On the manifild especially. Thats why alot of guys harvest them at night when its a little wetter. I was told for every one you see, there was 10 that put themselves out.

Farmer_at_heart

Here we go something I know about.1st fire 1990 in fall new job after factory job.Was driving 550 massey in bean's (MAGORITY OF FIRES COMBO OF BEAN DUST AND HEAT)when I notice a burning smell look around don't see nothing keep driving.After a couple hours I'm going ballistic trying to find out what's on fire.Open little door behind the cab to see seperator clutch shooting 2foot flames off of it.Grab fire extinguisher and put out only to reignite a couple of times before going for water to wash dust away.Next day tightened clutch and harvested for many more year's putting clutch on fire occasionally for many times after.1nce drove down road with park brake on that created a fire also put out and used hydro for brakes after that.just started our 8560 on fire this last week second time.First time plugged combine in bean's at night made seperator clutch get hot started dust on fire.Other morning same thing wet conditions plugged combine and started clutch on fire.No big deal know all about it now.As for the guy in successful farming who claims he hasn't had a fire in 30 years is lieing or ignorit of the fires in his machines.In soybean's it's impossible to be fire free from the dust you can get in 100feet than same dust collected over a day.

jhoag

860-760 V-8 engines run hot and create a lot of heat. Below valve cover above manifold dust and chaff sits. Also 1163 corn heads get hot if gear boxes are low on grease. Fire.

clean_sample

we had 2 out of the 12 combines burn up this year they were 9650 sts's they caught fire on the engine the straw would build up because the rotorary streen would flex in the wind and let the straw plug the rad this would heat the engine and because there was no wind passing over the engine the straw would just lay there.

aussie

N6. Same deal as Peana. Also found a smouldering fire in chaff collected on top of straw discharge chute. Must have started from ember blown off exhaust. We totally blow out comartment daily, exhaust manifold twice daily and have also built cover over and around engine that tries to direct fan blast closer to engine.

cat_man

Just through I would let you know that I had a fire on the printed board and the cost is $1500 and know help from cat. The horn started blow last fall and I unpluged it and them the Haz. lights started flashing and the end of the seasom. I tolk the machine to the cat dealer and for some up dats and they looked for the short. Say rats and chewed some wires and that was the problem. I fix them and that was not the problem. We were looking ant the machine and wondering what to do nexted and the windshield washer started spraying water. I went up the latter to see if I would stop that, and the printed board started buring. I was told that was the 2rd one that they new of. Wish Cat would fix under a updare notice.

skinnb

Crash, When we encounter fires it usually originates on the manifold. leaking valve covers or headgaskets attract dust_trash and cause problems. Good luck. Get a water cannon.

2rotorsrule

two birds with one stone. Check your insurance policy and if you're not good make it good.....then, just drive it til your seat gets too hot to sit in and leave for lunch!