Combines 1680

Todd_in_KS

The 1680 is a tough machine, ran a '89 model myself for a while. I loved the machine, and maintenance and repairs are easy compared to Deere's that I have also worked on. Ours had over 2000 hours on it when we traded it off, and all we had to do was replace the water pump and radiator, and the hydraulic drive belt, along with a rotor belt. All this in 4 or 5 years, don't think that is too bad. Just make the dealer fix'er up, and you'll be set.

SDman

Double l, the baffle breaking off in the oil pan did happen on a few of the Navistar(IH) powered 1600 Series, although it was not a real common problem. The combine oil pan is different in that it is significantly flatter than the tractor or truck oil pans that I have been around. As far as what to look for if you have a rock problem, I would advise a rock trap-equipped machine. The rock trap works reasonably well although understand it is a restriction in overall combine capacity. As far as saving straw, probably the best way to go would be to go with a standard rotor and discharge beater as opposed to a specialty rotor and straw chopper. Here again, if you are looking for a cheap $$ combine, these would probably be cheaper as they are less desireable equipped this way. Hope this helps.

combineman

The 1680 is a good machine.A massy doesnt even compare with this machine.We got a 1992 1680 it has 1900 hours on it and we have never had a in the field problem.But we do alot of preventive maintence which is very important.Working on them is very simple.An average person could do most of the work on it himself.Once you have ran one you will never go back to massy.I recommend the machine.

ihman

The earlier models with the short shoe, THEY SUCK!!! I have an early 1680 and I can't go any faster than 3.5 without throwing corn over, and I can't open sieves any more cause I get dirty samples. I ought to look into seeing if I can't switch from short to long. That's my experience. Hope it helps aggreviated farmer

With the long shoe you can cut an easy 150 acres of wheat and sunflowers, corn you can shell over 2000 bph long shoes are worth the money if you have a lot of acres to get harvest

Wisc

Thank you for the replies, They never had a short or long version shoe in the 1660 did they. Makes me curious how the 1660 compares to the short shoe 1680.

DK_in_MN

No you don't but may have to shim up slip clutch for elevator drive so you can fill extension.

cutter2388

Well congadulations, sounds like you made a good decision. You have the 8.3 cummins the long cleaning system and hopefully the cross flow fan as an update. Now it is time to get some more supporting eqipment to handle the major upgrade that you just made. Well any how you sound pretty excited about the whole thing so that is all that matters. If you have any further questions for optimal harvesting feel free to ask. I am not sure if you need a chaff spreader or not but I do have a vittetoe what will fit right on the machine.... good luck to you

little_al

yes i do have the 8.3 cummins,new cross flow fan, and also chaff spreader. with the combine i bought 1010 20', 964 corn header, and a header trailer. Can't wait to get to the field!!

Farm_Kid2

The seat switch and a few other functions are wired through the time delay. Take the panel on the right side of the cab off and you will see a white square box about 2.5" on a side an about 0.5" thick. It is mounted with a bolt through the center of it. It is your most likely fix, just replace it. Another thing that you may have is a much larger black box located in the lower left corner of the same compartment. Not all 1680's have this one, but if yours does your dealer can tell you how to bypass it completely. It looks like the auto-header height controller or the auto reel speed, which are mounted up above it. I would also replace the feederhouse relay (small grey or black plug-in style) because they are cheap.