Combines 1680 Header Vibration

M__Gorden

Vibration is one matter, breaking the chain is another. Do you have the auger lift links that raise the cross auger when you raise the reel to it's maximum heightIJ If so, you must have the right length chain and it must be adjusted accoring to the book. If this chain is too tight, with the reel down, it will get stretched when the reel is raised and I can see where it will break. As for the vibration; I have seen many of the 10 series headers have a harmonic type vibration with interaction between the wobble box and cross auger. I have not seen the chain break for that reason. I'm not sure why this is. Perhaps somebody else does. If so, please post your comments. My suspicion is that it has to do with the fact that all auger fingers are extended on one side and retracted on the other. Unless there is balancing compensation added somewhere, the auger is out of balance. There also can be an accumulation of debris inside the auger in the area of the retractable fingers. I suggest that you give this area a good cleanout. Adding flywheel weight to the wobble drive sheave will dampen the wobble drive vibration. Check your knive ball rod end for play. This ball joint must not have any play in it.

body

Do you have the correct guards at the knife driveIJ I don't think they should have the ledgers three sections from the end.