Combines milo

parttimer

Corn $1.55_bu. Well the hog and cattle people should be happy.

parttimer

POP-$.97_100n milo $.43 corn. We planted most of milo on March 16th. The variety (DK39Y) stated a 106-118 harvest date. Could be on the upper end due to wetter spring. I have not heard on what the corn is making. At Itasca none has been shelled yet. I think on the 30 ac we are hoping to be around the 100-110 bu.

pjr

I was just wondering if there are many guys down there who hire their milo cut. The early milo is a little over a month away here in NC Ok., depending on if we continue with more hot, dry weather. The milo looks good, but the beans sure could use a big drink, and some cooler air. Thanks in advance.

pjr

Where in TX are you locatedIJ Is the wheat ready before Frederick_Walters OKIJ I'm just getting started in the custom harvesting business, and any tip I could get would be appreciated. The milo in TX looks more appealing to me after wheat harvest here, as opposed to going north to cut wheat. We should start sampling milo around Aug. 20th, and soybeans aroun Sep. 10th. We will be cutting until after Thanksgiving. last year, we finished up on double-crop milo on New Years Eve. Thanks for the help. My e-mail is pjronck@kskc.net if you decide to drop me a line sometime.

chuckm

Boyd, We ran conventionals until 2 years ago when we purchased a 1660. There really wasn't much of a milo crop in 2003, so we didn't get a chance to see much then. In 2004 we had our best milo crop ever with 135 bushel dry land milo. Cutting that type of milo with the 1660 was an unbelievable experience. The sample quality was outstanding and the throughput was nothing short of amazing. The only "complaint" was that we have a 25' 1010 header and we had to take about a 18' swath so we could make a full round on a grain tank. We don't have enough milo to justify taking out the grain cart. I would definitely prefer a rotary for milo. Chuck

Greenbine

Boyd, We grow a considerable amount of dryland and irrigated Milo in Western Kansas. In the past few years we have switched from JD conventionals (9610's) to STS (97's) machines. The first year was a bit of struggle due mostly to our lack of knowledge of the rotor, lots of trial and error with diffrent setups. Since then we have been pleased with the rotor, our only complaint would be that the rotor struggles some in tough harvesting conditions and will overload the shoe easly. If the conditoins are right we can run from 4-5 mph in 100 bu. plus milo with a 12 row head. Where as we use to run 8 row heads on the walkers at comparable harvesting speeds. As noted we did switch from a class VI to VII machines, but I would say the rotor does a good all around job. Maybe some body else has compared similar class models and could give input on that.