Combines 820 Flexhead Questions

anteater6788

I saw your post down the list on the main forum and suggest that if you haven't done so to talk to Young's Custom Ag service, if nothing else he may be interested in buying your head to convert for somebody else. The biggest complaint with these heads is in their stock form they do not cut as close to the ground as most other heads, Young's have figured out how to change that so they will outcut any other head on the market. There are alot of 200 and 900 series Deere heads around here and our 820 from Young's will outcut any of them. As to your 1480 I wouldn't worry about not having a chopper and if you install disrupter's on it they will cut up dry bean stalks almost as good as a chopper for a fraction of the cost. We used to run a 1460 with a standard rotor and putting the disruptor's on it was the best money we ever spent on that machine, we no-tilled alot of corn into bean stubble behind it with just row cleaners on the planter.

wilddog

I no-till corn, wheat, barley and beans behind a 1460 without a chopper with no more problem than I had doing same behind a Deere with a chopper. You will need a chaff spreader, mine has a May-Wes that throws the chaff over about 16-20 feet. Most Case IH combines in this area are w_o a chopper and I've never seen one with a Deere header. Just 1020s and a few 820s.