Combines 1460 road speed

SDman

AJl, are you sure your hydro linkage is not worn excessively. A 1460 should be able to travel 18-19MPH with no modifications. This linkage is on the bottom side of the hydro pump. There is an arm that sticks out from the pump that mates to a piece that has a "notch" in it that the arm fits in. With time, the arm and the piece that it fits in will wear so that the hydro pump will not go to full stroke, limiting high-end speed. A quick test of this is that the hydro lever in the cab should not move more than a 1_2" either way from the neutral slot in the quadrant and you should be able to hear_feel the hydro pull the motor down as it tries to move the combine. If it moves more than that, I would suspect the linkage is worn. Most guys here braze up the 2 pieces to tighten up the tolerances for awhile.

mx270

my old 1460 was they same way it was like that the day we bought it in 1985 and there was no way of fixing the hydro linkage i think some of the machines used a different gear

rdc

corn and bean combines are much slower than grain combines,they are geared lower.We used to have one of each .The grain machine would do about 19 or so and the bean about 14 . linkage wear does make abig difference.

rdc

Grain combines are geared higher than corn machines. We had one of each and one would do 19 or so the other about 14. linkage wear will make a big difference.