Combines sharktooth grate in place of chopperIJ

JWK

I have been using a "sharktooth grate" that you are talking about in a 1460 and a 1660 for the last two years. Customers that would have to disk there fields before plowing, now can go in and just plow behind the combine. I have placed it in the most rear position next to the rotor and also in the middle position. I think the middle place is better, because it will reduce rumbling sooner in the cage. I have standard rotor. If you have and rocks and they hit the sections one bolt will shear and you will not loose the section. any other questions just ask. JWK in Minnesota

zerk

I have tried to use the shark tooth grate for the last two years and everytime I do it fills the back end of the rotor up with uncut bean stems to the point of pushing out access panel at the grate. it completly plugs to the point that grain cannot flow through. I have ran it in all three of the grate positions with the same luck. Any suggestionsIJ Factory reps refused to do anything about it. zerk

Farm_Kid2

Do you have the rubber paddle installed on the rear of the left bed augerIJ Without it wheat straw will build up solid back there, even without the sharktooth grate.

zerk

no paddle on left side i guess. just the two on the right side of the machine. It actually worked on one variety of beans that i custom combined, but that was it.

Rockie

The sharktooth grate sounds like what I am looking for to solve my straw problems. Can someone tell me were you get oneIJ

D

I have replaced many sharktooth grates with The Disrupter. I have 10,000 sets in service and If you have a problem I will help you with it. Call me at Estes Mfg. Co. 1-800-235-4461 ank for Don.

Canadian_Boy

You should really consider trying the disrupters. We put them in our combine about 3 years ago and it chops the straw amazingly and they have not worn a bit. The disrupters would also help with your separation a lot more than shark tooth grates.

Git_nby

I have a 1460 with no chopper and I have run the disrupters and a sharktooth grate for several years on spring wheat and soybeans (In the third grate) and with the disrupters alone in corn. I am well satisfied and think they complement each other. The trick to the disrupters is to replace the seperator bars in the rear of the rotor with scalloped ones so the fingers of the scallops drag the straw over the disrupters to break it up. I will also say that I have also modified the standard rotor by throwing away the short bars between the angled bars in the front of the rotor. This will all but eliminate rumble which I believe is nothing more than interupting the even flow of crop and piling it up in the concave area. Imagine putting a cross thread in the center of a bolt, a nut will stop turning too. As for the bars, every other rib has been cut out and the remaining one built up and hard surfaced,they pull easier. Then I installed lowen spring loaded concave hangars to let a slug thru without wedging. It was worth it just for that. Also I have the marlins in place of the elephant ears. They have less restriction up front. Every change was noticeable and capacity was increased but in damp evening conditions it will lose wheat out the rotor, but I have not plugged the rotor since these changes. After four years I have added acres and moved up to a 1680. I will run thru a full season before deciding which changes to add.

holland_land_co

just my opinion, I've run the disrupters for 8 years ,yes its better than no chopper,but would never spend the money on another set. the shark tooth grates do a much better job for a lot less money, you can build them at any weld shop with used grates.