Combines 2 questions

riceman

I'm running a 25 foot Agco rice stripper. What were you wondering aboutIJ

Silver_Bullet

I'm running a 25' Massey stripper. Far as I know they are the same as an AGCO. What would you like to knowIJ

Kurt

Are you running in wheatIJ Have you ever compared it to a shelborn headIJ Does it take a lot of maintainceIJ Do you see different wheat variaties that don't shell out as bad when using your stripperIJ Just simple stuff like this. Thanks Kurt

Kurt

Is a rice stripper the same as a stripper that is used in wheatIJ I was looking at a wheat stripper and how the performance was compared to a shelborn head. Thanks for your response Kurt

Silver_Bullet

Yes, I'm running in wheat. I have used it in oats, also. The last two years I've been running along with another farmer with a Shelborne head in the same fields under the same conditions. I see NO difference between the two heads in performance except the Shelborne at times will leave a very small streak of heads in the middle where there is a support bearing. Since AGCO has no support bearing I don't have the streak. It's not an issue when dry but once in awhile under a little tougher conditions a few heads don't get thrashed in that streak with a Shelborne. Mechanically it seems my AGCO has had a few less problems than his Shelborne but neither has had any major issues. By design the two heads are actually very similar. You can see in the AGCO where the Shelborne is completely enclosed. There is practically no maintenance. The head has 6 rows of teeth. I replace every other row after about 3,000 acres. I do that to keep a fresh set of teeth in the rotor. Their pretty forgiving about wear and still seem to thrash OK. One thing to not do is run the head in wheat that has old stalks standing. That will tend to break teeth. The teeth will wear faster in weeds but a few weeds do not bother it. In fact I get a cleaner sample because the stripper only takes the leaves off the weeds and leaves the stem so I don't have to deal with pieces of broken stems to try to clean out. I like how smooth it runs..no sickle for vibration. Visibility is good. Once you get your teeth depth set and hood height set you just drive by the hood touching the top of the wheat. Ground speed increases 40% or more. I was running 5 mph in some heavy 75 bu. wheat yesterday. Generally run flat out 7 in anything less than 40 bu._acre. Combine uses 1_3rd less fuel since there is only chaff and grain being run through the machine. A lOT less wear on the internal parts of the combine such as the cage and bars. The major wear item now on the combine is the header drive belt as the header is doing most of the seperation that the rotor used to do. Another nice thing about using a stripper is straw distribution is no longer a factor. In fact I run my straw spreader on the slow speed because very little straw is going though the machine. Some varieties are easier to thrash than others. The head just pulls harder in tough thrashing wheats. But the head will save the seed no matter how easy thrashing the wheat is. Easy thrashing varieties will also shatter when using a reel and sickle so I would say that is a wash. I know I'll never go back to a regular head after using a stripper. There are just too many pluses for using one.

NDDan

Try head sight.com They have feeler kits for flex heads that you want height control with cutter bar locked up for wheat. I bet that could be adapted to draper head

K_stater

Is there the possibility of rotor loss in poor crops if you don't increase ground speedIJ Just wondering since we've always heard the rotor needs to be "full" to do a good job of thrashing, and there is much less material going through with a stripper. It seems that if you were in thin wheat (let's say under 30 bpa) that it could be hard to keep full unless you really inrease ground speed. Or is this not an issue at any speed with the stripper on a rotaryIJ

Silver_Bullet

I have harvested wheat down to 10 bu. per acre and it seems you get about the same loss in that as you do in wheat yielding more. Yesterday I was in some 65 bu. wheat and it was very dry and getting about 1 bu._acre to 1 1_2 bu. loss at the head. A little more than usual. So if I had a 1bu. loss in 60 bu. wheat and a 1 bu. loss in 10 bu. wheat the loss is the same but the percentage of loss is higher in lower yielding wheat. Wheat yielding 30 or more is easy to harvest...there is enough straw to work well. less than that, it gets pretty thin but still doable. If the ground is smooth enough you can run 9 mph or so and still strip the heads.