Combines draper headers

Silver_Streak

Glad to see you aboard I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

wheatwacker

We have a 36 ft honey bee with pickup reel works great in lentils .Just make sure you roll the crop after thats the key! WE have it on a R62

John

You do know AGCO makes a draper headerIJ Made in 36', 30', and 25'. With an R60 I wouldn't go 36'.

Dakota

We ran all MacDon's last year cutting wheat, soybeans, milo and sunflowers with them (also in Kansas). We sold our only flex head. The MacDon's do a good enough job in soybeans that we don't need it anymore. And their harvest service is the best I've ever seen. I have never seen any other draper running. The people I have heard owning Deere drapers are not happy with them.

Duane

I have a 936D with a pickup reel and worked very well on HRSW and Durum this past year. I looked at the others and decided to buy the Deere. I was going to try it out on Soybeans but my land is not level enough for that and used a 30 foot flex head instead.

Turk

Dakota, what models do you runIJ From the MacDon Web site I learned there is a 962 and a 972, it appeared that the 962 is more for grain and the 972 is more for tougher conditions like hay and hard cutting crops. What is different between the 960 and the 962IJ Do you know how easy it is to interchange between 9650 and 9600IJ I plan to cut wheat with it on a 9650 and maybe soybeans with a 9600 since I own the 9600 and will have it available in the fall. Also when you talk of harvest service are you talking about it being dependable or do their people follow the harvestIJ I know dad met a guy in Caldwell that was promoting MacDon and offering one for Demo during harvest. What are the problems you've heard about the Deere'sIJ Thanks for the input

riceman

I enjoyed my time running a 36 ft. Mac this summer. I cut beans and milo with them. I think you need the hydraulic adjustable top link for beand. It changes the pitch of the whole header. Wew ran 9650 STS's and had to take the dome bubble of the throat for the header to fit. It does a real good job in beans. I head that the Deere draper is a maintenance nightmare. If you like to tinker on them everyday then go for the Deere. I saw more Macs than Honeybees over the summer but I think the Mac might be cheaper in price.

Dakota

We ran the 962. The 960 is the older model and has a gear box to run the middle draper. Since MacDon had trouble with it they changed to a hydraulic drive on the 962. I don't know too much about the 972. As far as I remember it had two sickle drives on each side and a finger reel. But you can have a finger reel on the new 962 as well. I don't know about the interchange between the 9600 and the 9650 yet. But I will be able to tell you soon when we get our 9650's we have bought together with 2000 model 962 MacDon's. By harvest service of MacDon I was talking about their harvest support group what is following along the harvest. But I am sure if you would call them as a farmer, they would do what ever they can at the time. I also think their headers are fairly easy to maintain and fix. And we could always call the hotline and ask for advice. The problems I've heard about Deere are that they don't cut low enough on the ground for soybeans and somebody else wrote on this website that he had a lot of welding to do. I defenitly agree with riceman. You want that middle cylinder on the MacDon to adjust your pitch for cutting the soybeans. It helps in wheat, too. For that you will not be able to adjust the reel for and after by hydraulics, but I think you don't need that.

Bigsky

Not sure of the Honey Bee, but the MacDon is one heck of a good header. Check the drapers and wear and tear of the sickle and guards.....no differant than a ridged. You will not believe the differance in a draper. No more slugging....thump thump in heavy slugging, just a natural slowdown of your machine when its loaded to capacity. If you get one thats older, you might want to check the bearings in the rollers.