Combines RE Bi Rotor in 09

riceman

If the rotor was not the way to go and walkers was, then why did Deere go with itIJ Even after saying they wouldn't build a rotor machineIJ Wouldn't it be amazing if instead of this combine shortage thats happening now, they had a warehouse full of combines built and ready to go and were instead retooling the factory for the bi-rotorIJ Btw, I'm an hour south of the MO state line. We run all colors of equipment. I didn't marry any one brand.

ihc_afc

I don't hate Deere either. I just hate their ability to say everything else but them sucks and then they make a rip-off poor copy of the other stuff that has been out for decades. Ala-STS and a tractor cab that doesn't have the center of vision blocked like theirs did. As far as being out for so longIJ Hey 30+ years of refining and perfecting an already superior design says something good about the initial design and engineering. I was an AMF mechanic in a large bowling center for years. There was also the who-was-better argument in that business too. AMF or Brunswick. AMF's mechanical design on their machine was changed in 1962 and remains the same today. The electronics were improved over the years and now they still have the best machine that is much easier to repair when they break. Oh, the new Brunswick design is more like the AMF than their previous models. And so it is with combines. Change what needs to be changed and leave the best design alone!! As far as the bi-rotor, good design, but Deere may find a way to F*^k that up too. Or just own it to get it off the market so no one else can have it!

Cutter

I doubt it, and it has very little to do with re-tooling the factory. There isn't that much of a difference between the current STS assembly line the one used to assemble the 9610's. Until last year, Deere was making both walkers and rotors on the same line. I have no doubt that various aspects of the bi-rotor will migrate toward mainline Deere combines but, I don't think you are going to see a true bi-rotor for a while. For more on why, scroll down and read what I posted on the Bi-rotor discussion below this one. The same reasons still apply.

Marshaltown_Farms

Must be having to many problems with STS. There salesman say they are the best combine there is. Think I have heard that before. Never say never

greenstrat

yeah, they really are worthless. Nobody wants one of those. gs

FarmBuddy

When Deere finally introduces the bi-rotor, I hope they include the slide out feature of the rotor and cage, as that feature made internal clean out fast and easy, as well as good service access to the concave cage and rotor. Also, inclusion of the dual path grain handling system circulating around the combine body would eliminate the lower and upper cross augers for the clean grain and tailing. This would make it easier to meet the Combine Clean Out standards being developed by ASABE. Adoption of the dual lower sump grain tank should also make tank clean out easier. Ultimately, they will include ClAD - Center line Auger Drive headers by running the header drive shaft through the hollowed out center of the axial rotors, thus making better use of this area. It seems like the 9870 STS five speed header drive is an incremental step in this direction. Eventually the and header drive gearcases would be located as a package up behind the rotor, and integrated together, similar to the powertrain through the center of a rowcrop tractor drive and PTO, just reversed. All just takes time and adequate customer demand. Eventually the Versatile Power System proposed via the XBR2 Bi-Rotor configuration will evolve to be used as an up front planter, front spray toolbar, and harvester capabilities.

Peteguy

i've heard that the STS is terrible in specialty crops, such as alfalfa and grass seed. the combine of choice used to be 95xx, and 96xx combines, not available anymore, and New Holland, being the only manufacturer still offering a traditional walker machine, has the market all to themselves in this small specialty segment.

davedan

There is still a demand for walker machines you know, this is why deere is still producing and improving the design because of this demand. There are other companies who still have several lines of walker machines out as well, they will never die and time and time again prove a point that the first design in machinery is the simplest. Even STS junkies know that they arent perfectly suited for all crops that a combine was designed to harvest.