Combines filler bars

Curt

I've tried almost every suggestion anyone has ever given me and I have never been disappointed. I wanted to give it a try and I took out all the filler bars. I didn't have a larger pulley to put on but man what a difference that made. Before I could run about 50 feet at about 2.5-3.0 and gradually slow down when the chaffer plugged. Now I was running 2.6 no problem. I could of pushed it harder but I didn't want to. The cobs are still breaking up but now they are like 3" or bigger. The cylinder clearance is right it can't go much higher up. My clearance markers have been moved, is there any easy way to reset them. Thanks Hyper Harvest II and Pete,

Curt

I know how you feel Keith. It took me over an hour or two just to remove mine. Someone never took them out or replaced the bolts every so many years, so the heads rounded off. It was well worth the time though. I can move 1 mph faster or more than I could with them in just because the cylinder no longer breaks the cobs in to little pieces. Curt

Trent

I do not run filler bars in my K and it works fine. I use three half-round concaves in positions 2,4 and 6 and about 5_8 spacing and get whole cobs. Some of the operators manuals recommend grinding up the cobs but that is just more to separate.

ewbeye

Filler bars will give you more threshing control when harvesting wet corn (25-32% moisture). They also can be helpful in a year where soft cobs in particular hybrids are a problem - although, thats changed with newer_better hybrid's genetics.