Combines Fires

Jim

I have a fire in a '96 model 9500 which appears to have originated in the straw walker while harvesting soybeans. The cause is possibly related to the straw walker bearings. The machine has under 300 hrs. on the separator since new. Anyone elseIJ

al

Jim,Guys that burned 9000 series in our area have the same story. Fire is in the straw walkers. But the fire starts in front of power shaft and burns a plastic sheild and falls into straw walkers. Burns side of the machine and walkers. Got a bunch of em in our area. Al

T_J

Al, you said there are a lot of these machines burnt in your area,

al

It seems as though the fires ended after soybeans were done. Maybe the fine dry dust was the problem. Called my serviceman said there was really no way for us to clean out the dust. Glad harvest is done and we still have an all green machine. JD will fix this during the winter, I am sure, they always have. Thats why we keep buyin them. None of this "never heard of that problem before,".

who

I've seen this a few times in wheat harvest. Some people cut the plastic tube out so the dust can't collect. But I've always been able to blow out the tube through the holes behind the upper variable sheave on the right side, and by the primary gearbox. let your JD dealer know about this so they can report this to D-TAC at JD.

who

I've seen this a few times in wheat harvest. Some people cut the plastic tube out so the dust can't collect. But I've always been able to blow out the tube through the holes behind the upper variable sheave on the right side, and by the primary gearbox. let your JD dealer know about this so they can report this to D-TAC at JD.

mudhogg

We had a small smoldering fire around the gearbox behind the electric clutch. We always figured that it was started by the clutch sparking when engaged. Is that the shaft that you guys are talking about. That shaft broke this year on us, when we took it out the tube was full of dust alright. How would it be ignitedIJ FrictionIJ

who

I've seen the tube around the primary get so full that the friction between the shaft and the dirt that it starts to burn and starts to melt that plastic tube.I've had some of my customers cut that tube out to prevent fires. But I do think if you spend the time to blow out that tube you can get it clean enough to prevent fire.

Jayly

We also had a fire on a 93 9600 while cutting soybeans. It started in the engine compartment on the engine gearcase. The fire destroyed all the hydraulic lines, wiring harness for the motor, and everything that was plastic melted around the motor. The damage costed $10,000 and a week out of the fields.