Combines John Deere Row Heads

GreenBine

Kiki..I havnt heard of anybody but do know that there are a lot of used JD row heads out there and also a lot of homebuilt 12 rows. There is a guy in Kansas that puts 12 row heads together. I believe he gets his frames from a couple places in Nebraska.

kiki

Thanks GreenBine. Hey, I live in Southwestern Kansas. Can this guy convert an 8 row to a 12 rowIJ And where is he fromIJ

blvfarmboy

There is a place at Giltner, Nebraska called Harv's Farm Supply that can custom build any kind of corn or row head that you want. Their website is www.harvsfarmsupply.com

GreenBine

Kiki...yeah he can use the row units, but it takes 13 row units. Usually he buys two 653A's then just always keeps some spares, is your 8 row an "A". He usually gets the frames from Nebraska as I said two diffrent places. He builds them at his farm or he oversees some of the guys at the vo tech there at goodland. I live in Western Kansas so we are porbably just a couple counties apart and would be more than happy to get some pictures of our 2 12 rows if you would like me to. We just sold our two 853A's this summer as there was lots of demand for them. Drop me your email address if you would like to follow up on it. What are u going to be pushing the 12 row withIJ We use to run 3 8 rows and decided to make the change to match up with the capcity of the combines and we also run 12 row planters so it works well. Sorry for not getting back to you, have been in a little discussion on the dang case page.

kiki

I have an 853A row head, and was thinking of making it into a 12. But maybe I would be ahead to just sell it, and buy one from your guy. I also plant with a 12 row planter. Just bought a 9750 and feel that an 8 row head would under utilize this machine. I am staying with a 30' rigid header for wheat this first year though and hopefully will get 36' draper header next year. Just too much money to do all that in one year. Back on the row head...what would be your suggestionIJ

GreenBine

Sounds like your thought process is the same as ours, an 8 row head wasnt getting enough material to the STS and we struggled to make it do as good as job as our 9610's. The 12 row solved that problem and matched our planters. We did also switch to running the large wire concave. We tried the inserts on the round bar the first year and couldnt get it to work like we wanted and tried it on one combine the next year vs the large wire both with 12 row heads, we found it was worth it to buy the concaves and yell about how we hate rotors because we have to swtich concaves, especially when we go back and forth from corn to milo more than once during harvest. I know some rotor guys remove wires to make the small grain concave work, never tried that. Have you thought about just straight cutting it with the rigid or with the draper when you get itIJ We used drapers one year on some milo we planted with our no-till air seeder and it worked ok and the STS handled it fine but, I will say we are not doing that again, we just have better luck planting milo with row crop planters and harvesting with row heads even if it isnt lodged. What kind of yields do you guys run on a normal yearIJ As far as selling your row head or using the row units, what year is itIJ What kind of shape are the units inIJ Is their demand in your areaIJ Would your dealer take it on trade for your draperIJ Both of our 8 rows were late model (95 and 96) and low time_acres , we pondered using them as parts for the 12's but essentially found that we could get about the same money for them as it would cost to buy the 12 rows. Also do you use after market or JD row tensionersIJ