Combines 860 shoe drive area

agri_cultured

With combine off , check for any loss motion of sieves and grain pan. If there is any it will beat the sieves and pan apart. I even had a top screen thrown out the back. It shook the locks loose. check all bearings on drive pulleys and shaker arm. Also check the key on arm and shaft and keep the big nut tight.

Greyhawk

I have a late model series III 760 with this exact same problem and it has had me beat for ages. I have replaced - renewed everything, new bearings replaced pitman arm, nothing worked. I have had no trouble with disintegrating sieves or any of that stuff, just these stress cracks in the metalwork radiating out from the main crank bearing support.I bet Massey increased the speed of the shaker assembly on the later machines and put it just a little out of balance. We have added enough extra metal and welding rods to stop it but what is the next weak link in this particular chainIJIJIJIJ

terry

Hey Greyhawk--I hear ya loud and clear - thats what I mean- Just how you described it-What do we do next if we want to keep using these combines. I think you are right on about the speed of the machine being increased causing all the havoc down there!! I wonder if there are any previous Massey engineers reading this that could helpIJ What area of the world are you located that you talk about series III 760IJ Its interesting to an old Massey buff!! I'm in the USA-North Dakota

Greyhawk

Thanks Terry !! I am in Australia , South western New South Wales 350 miles west of Sydney , our machine is a 760 model I 2179 manufactured in 1979 and bought second hand in 1993. It has just 2000 hours up and has done all of its work in our winter crops. A first class wheat and barley machine , good in lupins still have not got it sorted out right in canola. There are some 760 and 860's working rice with 3 to 4000 hours up and still going. I have not been able to get any answers over here about the stress cracking problem and am pleased to have found someone else with the same fault if you have any more news I would be pleased to hear !!